Health benefits of garlic can’t be overstated. To many of us, this little bulb is just a spice. We haven’t really explored and maximised the potency of this powerful and versatile herb which nature has provided. It’s one of the most beneficial and popular healthy herbs in the world, mainly because of its natural powerful antibiotic components. According to modern scientific research, it prevents and cures most of the diseases in the world today.
Garlic contains a very high concentration of sulphur compounds. These sulphur compounds are responsible for its strong smell and most of its medicinal effects. One of such compounds is a chemical known as Allicin. This is its main ingredient and it’s produced when garlic is crushed, chopped, chewed or bruised. It’s a very powerful antibiotic and antifungal sulphur-containing compound. Besides sulphur-containing compounds, garlic contains other beneficial components like amino acids, vitamins and minerals.
14 of these health benefits of garlic are:
1. It prevents and treats the symptoms of cold and flu because of its antibacterial components.
2. It also inhibits pneumonia, asthma, whopping cough, cold bronchitis as well as conjunctivitis.
3. It improves the immune system. It also prevents bacterial infections and growth.
4. It prevents the causes of heart diseases and heart-related problems by reducing the cholesterol levels in the body.Antioxidants present in garlic fight off free radicals in the body.
5. It helps in regulating the body’s blood pressure. Ajoene, a chemical present in garlic, thins out the blood and consequently controls the blood pressure of the body.
6. It can be used effective to deworm children. It kills and expels parasites from the body such as pinworms and tapeworms.
7. It aids digestion and increases hepatic functions.
8. Its antiseptic components fights off infections on wounds and promotes healing.
9. It helps in weight loss.
10. It enhances sexual health and has always been known as an aphrodisiac.
11. It improves eyesight.
12. It kills and inhibits growth of micro-organisms responsible for conditions such as vaginitis, vaginal irritation and yeast infections.
13. It reduces inflammations in the body, thereby easing pains. It’s very essential for people with rheumatoid arthritis.
14. According to several medical studies, garlic can be applied to the skin in its gel form to treat ringworm, jock itch and athlete’s foot.
Despite its wonderful health benefits, it’s advisable to consume garlic in moderate quantities. When taken in excess, it can have the following possible side effects: bad breath, body odour, skin irritation, heartburn, stomach upset, allergic reactions, and even damage to the digestive tract. Furthermore, since it thins the blood, too much of it can increase the risk of bleeding during or after surgery.
It’s pertinent to state here that garlic may interact with some medications. It’s therefore, advisable to consult your doctor before taking garlic supplements.
In conclusion, garlic is indispensable in enhancing your general health and well-being. Regular consumption will make you healthier and younger.