For most people, the joy that accompanies having twin babies is incomparable. But with that enormous joy comes just about the same size of stress. From getting a grip on their feeding schedule to making sure they nap at the right time, caring for twin babies does come in a double stressful bag and this stress arises mostly when your twin babies are not synced.
For soon to be mums having twins, here are 4 tips to know about caring for your twin babies.
Create a schedule
Even as adults, when we lead a life without plan, nothing ever works out, now compare that to having kids who are at a loss as to how to communicate their feelings. New mums with twins who are at their wits end on caring for these babies, it should be noted that the creation of a schedule, is actually the way out. You just must create a schedule to work with. According to Jennifer Walker, an Atlanta-based pediatric nurse and co-author of The Moms on Call Guide to Basic Baby Care, who also happens to be mum to twin babies
” You want to get the babies on the same feeding and napping schedules. They will eventually learn to adapt.”
Breastfeed both babies at the same time
Yes, this is very possible. When you have your schedule created and working, you can totally pull this off. Each twin can suckle on each breast when its time to eat. However, some mums might find this uncomfortable, no need to feel sad, there is actually another way out, you can breastfeed one twin and bottle feed the other. For Walker:
“I breast-fed one and bottle-fed the other,” she says. “I would sit down on the floor,breastfeeding one infant while the other lay on a pillow in front of me or on my side with a bottle. The whole feeding experience would take me 45 minutes total.”
The twins can share a crib at the beginning
As its no news, having twins comes with buying everything in twos, mums knowing its totally okay for their twins to share a crib at the early stage, comes as a relief for many.
“Newborn twins can certainly remain in the same crib initially,” Walker says. “If they sleep better when they know the other is close by, crib-sharing can last up until they move into their childhood beds.”
When the twins begin to bump or wake each other up, then you can decide on getting an extra crib.
Twins can sleep through the night
While some babies do sleep through the night, others do not and this, since time immemorial has been a major cause of concern for most parent. However, just the way we have babies who sleep through the night without as much as flinching, so is it possible to have twin babies who can do same.
According to a Jo,a pediatric nurse:
“Twins tend to settle themselves more easily as you don’t have the option of rocking them both to sleep at the same time; so they tend to be better sleepers,”
- Suspected kidnapper apprehended after abducting boy in Lagos - July 26, 2018
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle melt hearts as they kiss at the Sentebale Polo Match - July 26, 2018
- Alaafin of Oyo with all his wives at daughter’s Royal wedding (photos) - July 25, 2018
- How We Discovered the Secret to a Better Sex Life - July 25, 2018
- The Pain of Losing A Child - July 25, 2018
- 5 New Year Resolutions for every Single Mother - July 25, 2018
- Video of a woman Giving Birth In her back Garden - July 24, 2018
- College Life for a Single Mum - July 22, 2018
- Teaching Self Defence to your Teenager - July 22, 2018
- Parents,Reverend Funke Adejumo may be barred from entering the UK, US here is why - July 20, 2018