In a lot of homes, the mother-in-law is amusingly labelled as the “monster-in-law.” Yet, the pressure that parents-in-law can place on a couple’s marriage is no joking issue. It could possibly, believe it or not, eventually ruin a marriage.
As you can imagine, the mother-in-law/ daughter-in-law relationship is very nerve-racking for the daughter-in-law. In case your in-law scenario is causing you misery, then finding out how to manage your feelings and the situation is crucial in handling your well being, and, eventually, that of your family’s.
Treat your mother-in-law like your mom and your husband will treat you like a queen.
Think of her as your mother, not mother-in-law
The first thing to do is to change your mindset towards your mother-in-law, consider her as your mother and everything will change. She’s been there and done that and managed the family, appreciate, learn and you’ll be happy.
Respect her experience and wisdom
Show you respect her by asking for suggestions, her wisdom and experience will open your eyes to many new things. When your mother-in-law says something contrary to what you think is right especially in terms of running the home or taking care of kids, don’t dismiss it. Take some time to listen to it.
Show genuine interest in what she likes
Take that extra effort to keep her happy. Take a keen interest in things she likes, if she enjoys reading, gift her some books. If she loves gardening, gift her some garden tools and spend time with her gardening. Bonding over activities she enjoys can bring both of you closer.
Remember that your husband and she have a special relationship
Your husband has a special bond with his mother, accept it and don’t feel jealous or try to create a rift. This can leave your husband in a dilemma over whom to support.
Arguments don’t get you anywhere
The sure-fire way to create a rift in a relationship is to start an argument and this can flare up to the point that permanent scars are left. Remember, that winning an argument is not worth damaging a relationship. Listen to your mother-in-law’s point of view and express yourself gently.
Do not compare her with anyone else
Each person is unique and it’s not fair to compare one to another. Never fall into trap of comparing her with others, that will ultimately leave you feeling upset.
Focus on what’s positive in her
All of us have our flaws, ignore the flaws and look out for the positive side of her. You’ll find plenty for sure.
Remember building a good relationship with your mother-in-law does not happen instantly. It takes consistent time and effort but the result will make all happy. Especially you.
- Tips on How to Ensure Your Kids are Safe Online - November 8, 2017
- How to Help Your Child Answer the Question, “Where’s your Daddy” - November 1, 2017
- What can Women Learn from Men about Parenting? - October 19, 2017
- A survival guide for working parents: How to balance family and career - October 12, 2017
- The Financial Considerations Every New Parent Should Make - October 11, 2017
- How Companies Can Support New Parents - October 11, 2017
- SECRETS TO A HAPPY MARRIAGE [PART 2] - October 10, 2017
- Should Single Mums Become Dad’s on Father’s Day? - October 8, 2017
- A New Study Confirms That The Curse Of The Second-Born Child Is Real - October 8, 2017
- How to Build Your Confidence as a First Time Mother; Judith’s Story - October 6, 2017