There is something about unhealthy food that is very attractive. A greasy plate of fries and burgers topped with some ice-cream or cake easily fills many people’s daydreams. They say forbidden fruit tastes sweetest so sneaking in some of this when you have a crazy craving may sometimes leave you hiding from the crowd or not looking forward to any questions about the contents of your plate. You will probably get quite defensive about it too!
Burgers are among the most common fast foods but your local fast food joint will probably have a variety that is laden will calories and cholesterol that could block your arteries in a second. That’s not so appealing. Why not make your own healthy version then? You can satisfy your craving, fill up and stay healthy all at once.
What you will need
- Ground beef
- Black pepper
- Bacon pieces
How to do it
- Put the ground beef in a bowl and mix in the salt, pepper, bacon pieces and any other spices that you like. Rosemary, garlic or curry powder could work well.
- Shape the beef into thick circular patties and place them on a hot pan. Cook them on each side until the meat is cooked through.
- Place a little oil on the same pan and sauté the onions and mushrooms with some salt and pepper as well. Once they are cooked, remove them and place them on the beef patties.
- Place the beef patties and onion mixture on a bed of lettuce. Place the cheese on top of the hot vegetables so that it melts evenly. Layer any other vegetables and fruits that you would like such as the tomatoes and avocado.
- Top it off with the mayonnaise and ketchup. Wrap up the top with some more lettuce and you have a healthy
This option is very good for those that may want to cut out wheat from their diet or just take a break. It remains a little tangy and the spiced meat and melted cheese just melts in your mouth. The crunchy lettuce fills you up, adds character to it and leaves you refreshed at the same time.
Those looking for another alternative to the beef could use ground turkey instead. It is healthier since it is lean meat. It is a perfect combination for a healthy burger and you can wash it down with a healthy freshly squeezed juice.
The preparation takes about half an hour but cooking takes only 10 minutes. That’s about the same length of time it would take you to get to the fast food store and get to the front of the line! Try it and treat your taste buds to tasty awesomeness!
Welcome to naijaparents.com. Whatever your problem, marital, relationship, spiritual or parenting. We are here for you. No matter how difficult they are, together we can release power sufficient to solve these problems either spiritual or otherwise. Don't dwell on what went wrong. Instead, focus on what to do next. Spend your energies on moving forward toward finding the answers and solutions. Digging at the roots instead of just hacking at the leaves is our way of solving your problems. On naijaprents we break the problem down into components and solve one problem at a time. Let's hear from you.Join the conversation on our Forum and , like us on our Facebook page .Google+