Symptoms of Colic
As a mother, you’re prepared for your baby’s routine of eat, sleep, cry, play but you never prepare for a Colic period. Colic isn’t a disease or an unhealthy diagnosis in a baby, it is just a period whereby your baby cries for a longer duration for no apparent reason. It’s different from ordinary crying as it evolves from crying to screaming, puffing of hands with feet and hands in the air. It is believed to be a process of natural developmental stage or physical release of combined emotions from the child.
Symptoms of Colic
- Crying for hours at recurring intervals/time or days.
- Crying for no reason
- Looking flushed, clenched fists, eyes closed and raised legs in the air
- Bowel movement or gassy tummy
Colicking doesn’t last long as it starts in a 2-3 week old baby, peaks at mostly 6 weeks and can last up to 4 months. As a parent, it’s best to understand that is curable and ways to go about it such as:
- Soothing: You can walk your baby round the house with him pressed on your chest or over your shoulder. Rocking him gently can also reduce the bouts of cries.
- White Noise: Play a rainfall sound or a light vibrating quite sound such as a dryer or vacuum cleaner can calm your baby.
- Warmth: Give your baby a warm bath or swaddle him/her in a warm cloth while cuddling.
- Colic-carry or massage: Due to the gassing symptoms, place your baby in the colic carry position where he’s face down on your forearm or place him facedown on your lap to massage his back to release gas.
- Consult your pediatrician: You should consult your pediatrician on what other methods to solve your baby’s colic and check if there are other factors causing your baby to colic.
As a mother, this condition can be pressurising and take a toll on you because you are tuned to respond to your baby’s cries. However, as colic happens in 1 out of every 5 children, it’s not unusual; so best to deal with it by calming yourself.
- Beyoncé and Jay Z’s twins are been treated for jaundice following premature birth - June 26, 2017
- TO CANE OR NOT TO CANE? - June 26, 2017
- Trusting In God’s Promise For Marriage - June 25, 2017
- Mortified parents look helplessly on their nannycam as the registered nurse they employed to look after their special needs son, 2, cruelly beats him before they call 911 and cops save him - June 24, 2017
- 4 Phrases You Should Never Utter to Your Husband, No Matter How Tempting - June 23, 2017
- Lucky baby born on airplane awarded free flights for life - June 20, 2017
- HAPPY FATHERS DAY - June 18, 2017
- 3 Steps to Falling in Love with Your Spouse Again - June 18, 2017
- Moms Need a Full Year for Recovery After Giving Birth New Study Reveals - June 14, 2017
- Is it possible to still have your period while you are pregnant? - June 12, 2017