Pregnancy is a long and tedious journey for many women. Many continue working until the baby is practically about to pop out and before you know it the baby does pop out and you begin another crazy routine that is nothing compared to your previous work schedule. Have you considered taking a holiday before all the craziness drops in your lap? A honeymoon of sorts before you get to enjoy the joys of motherhood; a babymoon!
Travelling is a little different when you are pregnant though. You face a whole new set of challenges and you need to be a little more careful with yourself. Not that you can’t have fun but you’ll need a few boundaries. Here are some important things you’ll need to consider before you set out on your holiday.
- Location, location, location
You may have dreamt of going to the Maldives on holiday but unless you live close by this is definitely not the time for it. Choose a holiday destination that isn’t too far from where you are so as to reduce travel time. You can break the journey down into several overnight stops if you’re comfortable with that but try not to go too far.
Pregnancy automatically makes you think of hospitals so you might want to find a place with medical facilities close by. Shops are also a good addition because you never know when you’ll need something that you forgot to pack or maybe just to indulge a craving (it is a holiday after all!).
You don’t want to catch any diseases or infections during this time so stay away from areas that are prone to mosquito-borne diseases. It is best to avoid destinations that require you to get any kind of vaccination. If you are bent on going to such a place see your doctor first. Your doctor should be able to advise you appropriately on what vaccines are safe at this time and any other precautions you should take.
- Think ahead
Consider all the things that you will need for your journey and write them down (pregnancy brain can rear its head any time so take a pen and paper). Plan for toilet breaks and possible flight or road delays because these can considerably increase travel time.
- Pack a sensible bag
You need to remain comfortable throughout your holiday and this begins with a pregnancy pillow if it helps you sleep better, a travel pillow if you will encounter hard chairs, comfortable shoes and clothes, and a few layers of clothing for cool weather, just in case. Depending on the length of your holiday, pack with your bump in mind because it will grow bigger and you may not fit in the same clothes after about two weeks. Pack some healthy snacks and dried fruit too as well as water to keep you hydrated.
- Enjoy yourself to the fullest but within reason
It’s a holiday so have fun! Forget about your aching hamstring and instead, look at the beautiful scenery and take it all in. Remember not to go horse-riding, bungee jumping or anything that may be dangerous for the baby. Take a walk, go swimming, read a good book, ask for room service as you soak in a warm bath and just relax. Go easy on yourself during this time and enjoy the fact that there are no dirty dishes waiting for you in the kitchen sink.
- Make the most of the attention you’ll receive
There’s always someone willing to help out a pregnant woman. It comes with the territory so instead of finding it creepy (even though some can be a little too much) use it to your advantage. Let people open doors, pull out chairs and even carry your luggage. Enjoy the pampering lady because very soon it’s going to be a crazy world for you!
You shouldn’t feel guilty for going on holiday just to relax before the baby comes. It’s perfectly normal to take a break and you won’t have time for this once the baby is here so make the best of it.
- Tummy Size During Pregnancy: And Here Is The Reason Why You Shouldn’t Worry - July 21, 2017
- Mom Farts In Yoga Class And Lives To Tell The Hilarious Tale - July 21, 2017
- Gorgeous Pictures Of Ibidun Ighodalo And Her Daughter, Keke - July 21, 2017
- Pictures: Ex-Miss Tanzania, Millen Magese, Gave Birth to a baby Boy - July 21, 2017
- Heavily Pregnant Serena Williams Needs The Best Way To Sleep During The Night - July 21, 2017
- Nigerian Man Fight His Father-in-law For The Custody Of His Son After Wife’s Death During Childbirth - July 20, 2017
- Hot New Photos As Actress Dayo Amusa Celebrates Her Birthday - July 20, 2017
- Unbelievable Throwback Pictures Of Majek Fashek Together With His Mum, Grace Igodan - July 20, 2017
- Toyin Lawani Flaunts Her Son’s New Hair Style - July 20, 2017
- Cristiano Ronaldo CONFIRMS girlfriend Georgina Rodriguez is pregnant with his fourth child. - July 19, 2017