A beautiful Nigerian lady, Hauwa Umar Usman,recently graduated with a first class degree in Aeronautical Engineering from the University of Brighton, England. She hails from Kano state and she is the daughter of an Army Chief of Transport and Logistics, Major-General (ret) Umar Tudunwada Usman.
Hauwa’s story is so inspiring because while still in school, she was diagnosed with dyslexia but she, however, did not allow the learning difficulty to slow her down.
Speaking to Global Sentinel, Hauwa revealed why she chose to study Aeronautical engineering.
“My choice to study Aeronautical Engineering was one out of curiosity for aircrafts at a young age. I didn’t know what I was getting myself into due to how challenging and demanding the male dominated course could be. My Father has been very supportive since day one of my academic journey. He had always taught me to be patient, learn from my mistakes and always do my best, because ‘my best is enough. Despite the odds, I was determined that I would not let myself down and most especially my Father. Because, I knew he had sacrificed so much to make sure I have the best education. During my studies in England, I experienced some challenges, which a British friend noticed where signs of dyslexia and suggested that I take a dyslexia test. I had never heard of dyslexia ever in my life. I contacted the dyslexia team at the University and they were very helpful in explaining the disability and I was told that even the smartest scientist like Albert Einstein had this disability.”
Dyslexia is a “specific learning difficulty” that can cause certain problems with the ability used for learning, such as reading, writing, and understanding a task among others. Hauwa stressed that intelligence is not affected as she under took the stages of assessment for dyslexia “and it was discovered that I had a certain level of learning difficulty. The most important thing at that stage in my life was how to manage and develop a strategic way to understand where my difficulties affected me more”.
According to Hauwa, she had her moments of highs and lows during her undergraduate days.
“Whilst studying, I had my ups and downs and at the edge of wanting to give up, I always remembered my father’s words ‘it’s a challenge studying Aeronautical and yet you have come this far and I am so proud of you. My Mother had taught me to never lose hope in anything I do and that my hard work won’t go in vain”
She stressed that her “success in Aeronautical Engineering has been through hard work, stepping out of my comfort zone, understanding strategic ways to manage my learning difficulties, having a positive mind set and most importantly the encouragement from my family and friends during my most challenging times, allowed me to be amongst the very few with a first class degree in Aeronautical Engineering”.
She advised parents not to attack any child because he or she cannot perform a task.
“No child should be hit or beaten because they do not understand a task. The need to diagnose dyslexia in individuals especially at a younger age by both parents and teaching staff in Nigeria must be emphasized more.”
Congrats to her!
N.B- “Dyslexia is a common learning difficulty that can cause problems with reading, writing and spelling. It causes problems with certain abilities used for learning, such as reading and writing. Unlike a learning disability, intelligence isn’t affected”
- WOW! Housemaid thrown lavish wedding years after her Madam adopted her for being humble (Photos) - August 21, 2017
- DOMESTIC VIOLENCE! Man beats wife to death in Benue (Graphics Photos) - August 21, 2017
- THANK GOD! Checkout Funke Akindele’s Baby Bump (Photos) - August 21, 2017
- FREE BONANZA! A hospital in Kaduna is offering free surgery for a week to celebrate President Buhari’s return - August 20, 2017
- Monalisa Chinda- How I knew my 2nd husband was the one for me - August 20, 2017
- Kiki Osinbajo all smiles and pretty in new photo - August 20, 2017
- BIZZARE! Nigerian men celebrate Pres.Buhari’s return by drinking water and soft drink from the ground (Photos) - August 20, 2017
- Bawo Emami Appreciates God Amidst Curses And Insults From Followers(Read Comments) - August 20, 2017
- FAMILY VACATION! IK Osakioduwa and family visit Guliver’s land - August 20, 2017
- ‘I never had a boyfriend’ – Enugu girl who made 9As in WAEC - August 20, 2017