Candle light burns 4-month-old baby to death in Onitsha

A 4-month old baby, Chimmuanya Chukwu was on Saturday, burnt to death following a candle fire that gutted a room apartment at Okija Street, Awada in Onitsha, Anambra State.

According to The Nation, the mother of the baby had left the baby at home around 7 pm to recharge her torch in the neighbourhood when the incident happened.

Narrating her ordeal, the mother, Mrs Oluchi Chukwu said her baby was fast asleep when the wax of the candlelight she lighted got exhausted and spread into the inflammable material she laid on.

I went out to charge my rechargeable torch because there was no electricity within my vicinity when the candle exhausted its wax and melted on an inflammable material leading to the fire which engulfed their room,” she said.

She further explained that those who assisted in putting out the fire could not rescue the baby as they were ignorant of her presence in the room.

“My baby couldn’t have died if those who came to our rescue were aware that she was inside. It was unfortunate that I lost my baby in such a manner,” she lamented.

Chukwu said she took the baby to a private hospital where she was confirmed dead, adding that she had been buried.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.