Carrot and Apple Cake Batter:
350 g carrot peeled and chopped in chunks
250g apple peeled and chopped in chunks(you can use applesauce if you have it)
480 ml vegetable oil
1 teaspoons (or 5 ml) cinnamon
2 teaspoons (or 10ml) stem ginger
500 g wholemeal flour
3 teaspoons (or 15g) baking powder
¼ teaspoon of salt
6 large eggs at room temperature
300 g granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (about 180 degrees C). Grease two rectangular mold (12-inch) and dust with flour.
- Pour the chopped carrot apples, stem ginger, cinnamon and oil in the blender and blend all together very well until the mixture is nice and smooth.( All pureed together) Place on the side.
- In a large bowl, sift the flour and baking powder and the salt. (Flour mixture)
- Using a hand mixer, or a spatula with your elbow grease gently fold in the wet puree (at a low speed into dry flour mixture adding the mixture gradually until all is incorporated well (Note, don’t over beat the mixture).
- Pour batter into the cake pans. Bake for about 40 -60 minutes. (You will know cake is cooked if you poke with a skewer or wooden toothpick and it comes clean, if wet put bake in the oven.
- When cooked remove from oven and place on the side to cool for a while then remove from mold and place on an oven rack to cool down completely .There you are you Carrot and Apple Cake is ready serve with or without a dusting of powder icing or if preferred like I do with Orange glazing!!!!
300g icing sugar
2 tablespoons orange juice
1 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons finely grated orange zest
2 tablespoons butter
Stir together icing, the orange juice and butter, then Stir in remaining lemon juice, little at a time, to get the consistency you like.
Pour on the cakes.