Here are Causes of Heavy bleeding after birth,postpartum haemorrhage
Bleeding a Lot Post Delivery
Every woman who gives birth must bleed. This is because the placenta must detach itself from the uterus immediately after delivery. The whole process could rupture a few blood vessels thus causing the bleeding. Some women develop tears during birth or have to undergo an episiotomy and these contribute to the bleeding too until they are stitched. The bleeding is therefore expected and because it is expected, your body prepares for it by increasing your blood volume during pregnancy by almost 50 percent. Those who go through C-sections however lose more blood than those who have vaginal births.
Once the placenta is delivered the uterus continues to contract and the ruptured blood vessels close up. Massaging the uterus can also help contract it. The caregiver can give Pitocin, a synthetic form of a hormone known as oxytocin. This hormone helps with contraction of the uterus. Breastfeeding triggers the production of oxytocin so start as soon as you can.
Causes of Postpartum Hemorrhage
Sometimes things don’t go as expected though and some women bleed too much after delivery. It could occur immediately after or at least within 24 hours it is termed as early/immediate/primary postpartum hemorrhage (PPH). In other cases it occurs days or even weeks after delivery and is referred to as late/delayed/secondary PPH. PPH occurs in about six percent of births.
It can be caused by conditions such as placenta previa or accreta and these would require immediate special attention. On other occasions, deep cuts or tears in the perineum, vagina, cervix or an episiotomy gone too far can contribute largely to a PPH. An inverted or ruptured uterus can also be causes but they are somewhat rare occurrences.
A blood clotting disorder can cause a hemorrhage since your body remains unable to somewhat put a stop to it. It doesn’t matter whether the disorder was inherited from family or it came about during pregnancy. The hemorrhage can also bring on clotting issues and that would cause even heavier bleeding.
Treatment for PPH
The most common reason for PPH is the uterus losing tone (uterine atony) and therefore the medics will most likely start by massaging the uterus as well as start a dose of intravenous oxytocin so as to help your uterus contract. The bladder must be empty since a full bladder makes uterus contraction difficult so they will also put in a catheter.
Sometimes the placenta doesn’t come out immediately and so the doctor may try to deliver it, and sometimes manually by reaching in there and pulling it out. There’s definitely a need for pain medication at this point! Bleeding could continue after this and doctors will administer some drugs to help slow down the flow. The medication should work almost immediately with the uterus contracting from both the medication and the action of massaging the uterus.
If the bleeding persists the doctor will check for lacerations and fragments of placenta that may have been left behind in the uterus. Clearing these out may sometimes need a procedure known as dilation and curettage (D&C). Rarely will one require a blood transfusion and an even rarer occurrence is having to remove the uterus so as to stop the bleeding.
Once they control the bleeding you’ll be well on your way to recovery. You may feel lightheaded so be careful not to get out of bed unassisted. Recovery speed will depend on how much blood you had and how much you lost and whether you developed anemia from the ordeal. Nutritious food and lots of rest are basic needs during this time so don’t be in a hurry to get back to your regular schedule. All should be well within a reasonable amount of time.
- Just 4 Years Ago, Meghan Markle Blogged About Wanting to Be a Princess — See What She Wrote! - August 15, 2018
- Testing - August 15, 2018
- Unlawful wedding spending is causing divorce in our society- Sultan of Sokoto - August 15, 2018
- Football star Raheem Sterling shows off touching new tattoo of him kissing young son Thiago (Photos) - August 13, 2018
- Here is What good sex does to a woman according to a lady - August 12, 2018
- Nigerian man narrates how his girlfriend tried extorting him using a fake pregnancy - August 12, 2018
- This Benue woman slept with her son in order to have a child for her infertile husband - August 11, 2018
- Suspected kidnapper apprehended after abducting boy in Lagos - August 11, 2018
- ‘God needs Saraki to rule Nigeria for 4 years’ – Primate Ayodele reveals how PDP can win the 2019 election in new prophecies - August 11, 2018
- Video: 2face Idibia can’t keep his hands off his wife, Annie Idibia after he returned to Nigeria last night - August 11, 2018