HEALTH BENEFITS OF EWEDU. Ewedu is green leafy vegetable found in Nigeria.Its botanical name is Molokhia and it is a low calorie vegetable which can help you flatten your tummy and loose some weight.
The green leaves contain almost all of the nutrients needed by humans and are high in antioxidant property, primarily in the form of Vitamin E. These antioxidants combine with free radicals that cause health problems like arthritis, hardening of arteries, heart and kidney ailments and inhibit the harmful and destructive effects of these radicals.
- Ewedu leaves pack the antioxidant trio of Vitamins A, C and E which fend off free radicals thereby protecting the body from degenerative diseases. The ACE vitamins also happen to be the most beautifying vitamins, increasing collagen production to keep the skin firm and young-looking. This is why most people belief that ewedu was Cleopatra’s beauty secret
– Vitamin A, aids in repairing the body’s cells and improves eyesight
– Vitamin C improves circulation and helps lower the risk of eye disorders
– Vitamin E slows down the aches and pains associated with aging and increases stamina
– Calcium contributes to strong teeth and bones
- Half a cup of prepared ewedu will give you the following nutrients: 20 calories ,0.3 grams of fat, 3.1 grams of carbohydrate, 0.4 grams of fiber, 1.3 grams of protein, 87 mg of calcium, 22 mg of phosphorous, 1,334 IU of beta-carotene, 1 mg of iron, 0.02 mg of thiamin, 0.04 mg of riboflavin, 0.3 mg of niacin, 10 mg of Vitamin C, 48.9 IU of Vitamin E
- Ewedu is a great option for those trying to loose weight. 1 cup mixed ewedu soup with a handful large prawns and no oil has less than 100 calories in comparison to same amount of Egusi with over 400 calories
- Ewedu is also beneficial for pregnant women
The leaf has been known to be a remedy for pregnant women experiencing prolonged labour. When a pregnant woman is experiencing prolonged labour, a bunch of ewedu leaves squeezed with the stem can be given to her to drink. It has also been discovered to aid milk secretion in lactating mothers.
- It is used as herbal medicine to control o/ prevent dysentery, worm infestation and constipation.
- Ewedu leaves are rich in vitamins, carotinoids, calcium, potassium and dietary fibres. Although it has been grown for food, in recent times it has been discovered that ewedu has many other benefits, including anti-ageing benefits.
- Ewedu is medicinal too,studies have shown that this green, leafy vegetable is rich in beta-carotene for good eyesight, iron for healthy red blood cells, calcium for strong bones and teeth, and vitamin C for smooth, clear skin, strong immune cells, and fast wound-healing. Vitamins A, C and E present in ewedu “sponge up” free radicals, scooping them up before they can commit cellular sabotage. As a vegetable, it contains an abundance of antioxidants that have been associated with protection from chronic diseases such as heart disease, cancer, diabetes, and hypertension as well as other medical conditions.
Welcome to naijaparents.com. Whatever your problem, marital, relationship, spiritual or parenting. We are here for you. No matter how difficult they are, together we can release power sufficient to solve these problems either spiritual or otherwise. Don't dwell on what went wrong. Instead, focus on what to do next. Spend your energies on moving forward toward finding the answers and solutions. Digging at the roots instead of just hacking at the leaves is our way of solving your problems. On naijaprents we break the problem down into components and solve one problem at a time. Let's hear from you.Join the conversation on our Forum and , like us on our Facebook page .Google+