Thibaut Courtois would probably still be a Chelsea player had his family lived in London and not Madrid his agent told the BBC on Sunday.
The 26-year-old Belgian moved to European champions Real Madrid on Wednesday. However, his agent Christophe Henrotay, on Sunday told the Chelsea fans not be angry nor think of Courtois as being disloyal in seeking to move to Madrid.
“There has been a misunderstanding that he wanted to get a move for the wrong reasons, but he was pushing to go out of Chelsea because of his children,” said Henrotay.
“If the family were in London it would have been totally different. He would have stayed, there is no reason to leave a club like Chelsea, he could have won trophies.
“Unfortunately his kids are living with the mother in Madrid.”
Henrotay said Chelsea had acted in a cooperative fashion illustrating they wished to act in his client’s best interests — his two children are in Madrid living with their mother from whom he is estranged — as well as opening the way so they could replace him.
“It is personal reasons so we have to respect this. Chelsea understood the situation and really helped to get the deal.
“They did a really quick and easy deal together, understanding the humanity of the situation.
“It is not doing something against their fans it is about getting the best of a situation that is not ideal.”
Henrotay said the moment when Courtois — who knows Madrid well having played on loan from Chelsea at Atletico Madrid for three seasons — was united with his family added pathos to the transfer.
“When we arrived in Madrid to make the signing, I had his parents, his brother, his sister, his child, the mother of the child, everyone is there and I said to him that I am delighted to make a great deal for him in going to Real Madrid but also it’s a family coming together,” said Henrotay.
“I could see tears in their eyes and it delighted me to be able to do something not only for a player, for a client, but for a family, which is great.”
- E-money And Family Pictured At Burj Al Arab Hotel In Dubai - August 20, 2018
- Female Soldier In Hot Soup For Brutalizing Her Young Niece - August 20, 2018
- Linda Ikeji Pictured In Rare Moment Her Baby Was Kicking - August 20, 2018
- 8-year-old girl brutally raped and murdered by a family friend in South Africa - August 20, 2018
- Duncan Mighty accused of battering his wife - August 20, 2018
- OAP Toolz’s parents-in-law celebrate 45th wedding anniversary - August 20, 2018
- Mohammed Indimi’s wife, Samira Sherrif welcomes first grandchild - August 20, 2018
- Adorable photos of Davido’s second daughter, Hailey Adeleke - August 20, 2018
- ‘I found love in you’ – Newly married singer, Becca says as she shares a photo from her wedding to her Nigerian manager, Tobi Sanni Daniel - August 20, 2018
- Late American footballer, Aaron Hernandez’s suicide notes to daughter, fiancée and lawyer revealed - August 20, 2018