Thibaut Courtois would probably still be a Chelsea player had his family lived in London and not Madrid his agent told the BBC on Sunday.
The 26-year-old Belgian moved to European champions Real Madrid on Wednesday. However, his agent Christophe Henrotay, on Sunday told the Chelsea fans not be angry nor think of Courtois as being disloyal in seeking to move to Madrid.
“There has been a misunderstanding that he wanted to get a move for the wrong reasons, but he was pushing to go out of Chelsea because of his children,” said Henrotay.
“If the family were in London it would have been totally different. He would have stayed, there is no reason to leave a club like Chelsea, he could have won trophies.
“Unfortunately his kids are living with the mother in Madrid.”
Henrotay said Chelsea had acted in a cooperative fashion illustrating they wished to act in his client’s best interests — his two children are in Madrid living with their mother from whom he is estranged — as well as opening the way so they could replace him.
“It is personal reasons so we have to respect this. Chelsea understood the situation and really helped to get the deal.
“They did a really quick and easy deal together, understanding the humanity of the situation.
“It is not doing something against their fans it is about getting the best of a situation that is not ideal.”
Henrotay said the moment when Courtois — who knows Madrid well having played on loan from Chelsea at Atletico Madrid for three seasons — was united with his family added pathos to the transfer.
“When we arrived in Madrid to make the signing, I had his parents, his brother, his sister, his child, the mother of the child, everyone is there and I said to him that I am delighted to make a great deal for him in going to Real Madrid but also it’s a family coming together,” said Henrotay.
“I could see tears in their eyes and it delighted me to be able to do something not only for a player, for a client, but for a family, which is great.”
- How God Can Bring People Together - October 17, 2018
- Being Ghosted in a Relationship. - October 11, 2018
- Fighting for my marriage.If you don’t have these 6 conversations, it can never be “Happily ever after…” - September 12, 2018
- The 3 P’s That Can Poison Your Marriage - September 12, 2018
- Heavily pregnant Linda Ikeji spotted exercising by showing off her dancing moves - September 6, 2018
- This Woman has been Carrying her sick Husband on her back for 5 years (watch video) - September 4, 2018
- Instagram user reveals how he almost poisoned his brother over 9ice and Ruggedman’s beef - September 4, 2018
- Archbishop Duncan-Williams explains why his first marriage of 26-years failed - September 4, 2018
- See lovely photo of Dbanj and his wife Lineo as they baecation in Dubai - September 4, 2018
- MC Galaxy announces his wedding date, says he is marrying the best woman in the world - September 4, 2018