The year has begun, hopefully on a good note. The one thing that people usually do is make resolutions and keeping them becomes an uphill task. Experts say that breaking down goals into smaller achievable targets makes it a little easier to attain said goals. The assumption is that you have purposed to eat healthy this year (after all, who wants health problems they can avoid?) and achieving that begins with consuming an actual healthy meal.
Since breakfast is the most important meal of the day, why not start with a power-packed breakfast menu? You need your brain to accomplish all major tasks during the day so starting out with brain foods will give you a great jumpstart. Fish perhaps?
Look at sardines. They are tiny and they don’t look like much but small things can give you great value sometimes. They have a rich history as well considering they became popular after Napoleon Bonaparte decided that they should be caned so as to feed the people he was presiding over. They can be eaten fresh but are mostly found canned in olive oil, soybean oil or water.
Sardines are small fish but are packed with so many nutrients you wonder how they fit in there! They contain vitamin D, B12, A, B2 and B3 and are an excellent source of minerals such as calcium, phosphorus, selenium, potassium, zinc, magnesium, iron, niacin and copper and some very good omega-3 fats. The fact that they are fish makes them a good source of protein as well. Sardines fall very low on the ocean food chain and this makes them much less likely to have very low mercury content as compared to larger fish. Sardines will therefore promote bone health, improve heart health, improve brain function and ensure general wellbeing.
Choosing sardines requires that you keep an open eye. Read the label to find out what liquid they are packed in. If you are wary about taking in too much oil, go for those packed in water. Some are packed in tomato sauce but be careful not to choose a variety that has too much sugar in it. Canned sardines have a long storage life but check the expiry date just to be certain. Once you open a can keep it refrigerated to avoid going bad. Fresh sardines should be properly gutted and cleaned under cold running water and then stored at about -2 to 0 degrees Celsius.
A proper breakfast requires that you have some protein as well as some carbohydrates and fruit or vegetables. You can use bread for carbohydrates but make it whole meal bread so that you stay fuller for longer and have energy to accomplish your tasks for much longer. The easiest way to combine such ingredients for breakfast is in a sandwich. Here is a great but simple recipe to help you start your healthy-eating journey.
- 2 cans sardines
- Half cup sliced cucumber
- A pinch black pepper
- Whole meal sliced bread
- Open the cans of fish and drain the liquid they were packed in. This will reduce any extra sogginess to the sandwiches.
- Pour the fish in a large bowl and throw in the cucumber and black pepper. Mix them thoroughly and serve on the bread.
- If you feel like toasted sandwiches instead, throw in some cheese in the mixture and have the sandwiches warm.
- You can have them with any kind of tea, juice or coffee and even as brunch.
- Be sure to omit salt in this recipe because sardines contain some amount of sodium. Too much sodium can lead to hypertension, stroke and kidney disease.
About Bayo AjibolaAll about Parenting, And Loads of Entertainments. Let's hear from you.Join the conversation on our Forum and , like us on our Facebook page .Google+
- Suspected kidnapper apprehended after abducting boy in Lagos - July 26, 2018
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle melt hearts as they kiss at the Sentebale Polo Match - July 26, 2018
- Alaafin of Oyo with all his wives at daughter’s Royal wedding (photos) - July 25, 2018
- How We Discovered the Secret to a Better Sex Life - July 25, 2018
- The Pain of Losing A Child - July 25, 2018
- 5 New Year Resolutions for every Single Mother - July 25, 2018
- Video of a woman Giving Birth In her back Garden - July 24, 2018
- College Life for a Single Mum - July 22, 2018
- Teaching Self Defence to your Teenager - July 22, 2018
- Parents,Reverend Funke Adejumo may be barred from entering the UK, US here is why - July 20, 2018