Mayonnaise is a great condiment that is usually used as a dip or as a spread in sandwiches. It makes for a great treat and spices up every meal it is used in. Others even use it as a hair and beauty product so it is quite the versatile item! The problem comes in when you have to go out and buy it though. Most people say that mayonnaise is a little expensive and this makes it difficult to have it as a constant on your table.
Imagine running out of mayonnaise during a hair routine and there is no one to send to the store? Or maybe the store is a long way off and you probably don’t even have enough money to get the amount that you need. A great suggestion is to just walk into your kitchen and make some of your own with the ingredients you use every day in your cooking.
What you need
- A large egg that is at room temperature
- 150ml of any vegetable oil of your choice
- A tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice (this is optional but it gives it that acidic taste found in store-bought mayo)
- Some salt to taste
Everything here is probably lying in your kitchen right now! Make sure that all ingredients are at room temperature. You can spice it up a bit by adding herbs and spices of your choice if you would like since this is a basic recipe.
How to do it
- Wash the egg until thoroughly clean and then break it into a blender.
- Add the oil, salt and vinegar or lemon juice and process the mixture until you notice it turning white. This should be about 10 seconds or so.
- Continue with the blending until everything is mixed well and the mixture is stiff but smooth. Those using a hand blender should use up and down movements so that the oil gets properly mixed into the mixture. If the blender is not handheld you will have to add the oil gradually instead of at once, until the consistency is just right.
- Once the mixture is at the right consistency take a sterile container and pour it in. That’s it!
How to do it with a hand whisk
Blenders are not in every home but a simple hand whisk is cheaper to come by. This recipe will however require that you use the egg yolk only instead of a whole egg. The portions also change a little.
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice or vinegar
- 120ml vegetable oil
- Salt to taste
- Wash the egg and crack it carefully. Separate the white from the yolk and place the yolk ina wide bowl. Add the salt into the bowl and mix them very well.
- Use a teaspoon to add the oil gradually into the mixture. Stir continuously while adding the oil drop by drop. You will notice that the mixture begins to thicken as you add the oil. If it becomes too thick you can add some drops of lemon juice or vinegar to make it a little thinner. Continue stirring until you achieve the desired smoothness and thickness.
- Add the last of the vinegar or the lemon juice and mix it into the mixture until it is smooth and well incorporated.
If the mayo turns out too thin you should place another egg yolk in a clean bowl, whisk it until fluffy and then mix the thin mayonnaise into it while stirring until it attains the thickness you would like. Homemade mayonnaise will keep for about a week but it is best to use it within three days. Store it in the fridge as soon as it is ready and keep it there until it is all used up.
Welcome to naijaparents.com. Whatever your problem, marital, relationship, spiritual or parenting. We are here for you. No matter how difficult they are, together we can release power sufficient to solve these problems either spiritual or otherwise. Don't dwell on what went wrong. Instead, focus on what to do next. Spend your energies on moving forward toward finding the answers and solutions. Digging at the roots instead of just hacking at the leaves is our way of solving your problems. On naijaprents we break the problem down into components and solve one problem at a time. Let's hear from you.Join the conversation on our Forum and , like us on our Facebook page .Google+