How to Cook Beans and Corn Porridge (Adalu)
Beans are a great source of protein and fibre and they taste really good. You don’t have to worry about extra cholesterol in your diet or adverse health effects, unless you’re allergic to them. This is How to Cook Beans and Corn Porridge (Adalu).
Prepared well, any meal with beans can feed many people and leave happy memories in their wake. You can have them as they are just flavoured with salt or get creative and throw in some spices like coriander, cumin seeds, a cinnamon stick or even ginger. Tomatoes always find a place in a pot of beans and coconut milk or cream takes you to food heaven.
Maize is a carbohydrate that gives a good amount of energy and fibre if it still has the kernel intact. It tastes great too whether boiled, roasted or grilled with a swathe of butter. With the kernel intact, it releases energy slowly into your body and allows you to get a good supply of energy without crashing a short while later like you would with processed foods.
Now imagine these two food items in the same pot, infusing deliciousness into each other. Adalu is a mixture of maize and beans and oh, they make a great pair! For those who don’t like beans, this is a great way to try them and you may just get converted.
This recipe includes vegetables on the side to add more nutrition and fibre. You can however serve it with meat or fish as well.
Ingredients for the Adalu
- 300g beans of your choice
- 200g corn (fresh or canned)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- Some oil for frying
- Salt to taste
- 1 stock cube
- Carrots, diced (optional)
- Boil the beans and maize together in a pot. If using canned corn, boil the beans only. Beans take a while to cook so you might consider using a pressure cooker or soaking the beans for about three hours before cooking. Cook until tender.
- When ready, throw in the canned corn (if using) and stir them to mix well. Let them cook a little, about 15 minutes.
- Throw in the salt, onions, stock cube and cooking oil and let this cook over low heat with the pot covered.
- When almost ready, throw in the carrots and let them cook. You can put them in earlier with the onions if you like them soft as opposed to crunchy. The onion will impart its own flavour and the low heat allows time for the different flavours to infuse into the food.
Ingredients for the veggies
- A bunch of green vegetables of your choice (spinach, kale, amaranth, ugwu)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 stock cube
- Vegetable oil
- Salt to taste
- Thoroughly wash and dry the vegetables. Leaving them wet will leave them soggy during cooking.
- Cut them up according to your preference and set them aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan and throw in the onions. Fry till translucent.
- Add in the vegetables and the stock cube and keep stirring. The heat should be at medium to keep the vegetables from burning but not too low that they wilt too much.
- Add some salt and keep stirring for about five minutes and serve immediately.
There you have a simple no-fuss, one-pot meal that is healthy and gives you the essential nutrients you need. The colour contrast is also very striking and appealing.
This combination is best enjoyed hot but will remain tasty at any temperature. You may find that it tastes better if the beans are a little more than the maize so look at your proportions before boiling the maize and beans.
About Naijaparents.comAll about Parenting, And Loads of Entertainments. Let's hear from you.Join the conversation on our Forum and , like us on our Facebook page .Google+
- Tummy Size During Pregnancy: And Here Is The Reason Why You Shouldn’t Worry - July 21, 2017
- Mom Farts In Yoga Class And Lives To Tell The Hilarious Tale - July 21, 2017
- Gorgeous Pictures Of Ibidun Ighodalo And Her Daughter, Keke - July 21, 2017
- Pictures: Ex-Miss Tanzania, Millen Magese, Gave Birth to a baby Boy - July 21, 2017
- Heavily Pregnant Serena Williams Needs The Best Way To Sleep During The Night - July 21, 2017
- Nigerian Man Fight His Father-in-law For The Custody Of His Son After Wife’s Death During Childbirth - July 20, 2017
- Hot New Photos As Actress Dayo Amusa Celebrates Her Birthday - July 20, 2017
- Unbelievable Throwback Pictures Of Majek Fashek Together With His Mum, Grace Igodan - July 20, 2017
- Toyin Lawani Flaunts Her Son’s New Hair Style - July 20, 2017
- Cristiano Ronaldo CONFIRMS girlfriend Georgina Rodriguez is pregnant with his fourth child. - July 19, 2017