The very best Nigerian Meat Pie is succulent, delicious and contains minced beef, potato and carrot filling. The filling is generally sufficiently seasoned and it gives the meat pie its distinctive taste.
How to Make Nigerian Meat Pie
The Nigerian Meat Pie is a preferred treat because it’s yummy, moist and doesn’t generate flakes when it is being eaten, if well-prepared, that is. The Meat Pie recipe detailed right here will assist you to make the best meat pie recipe.
Ingredients For Nigerian Meat Pie
The amount of meat pies you’re going to get depends upon the size of the meat pie cutter machine you use. A cutter that is 8 inches (20cm) across provides you with about 10 meat pies using the below ingredients.
For your Nigerian Meat Pie dough
- Plain Flour (All Purpose Flour)- 1 Kg (2.2 lbs)
- Baking Powder – 2 teaspoons
- Margarine – 500g (1.1 lbs)
- Salt – 2 pinches
- Cold Water – ½ cup / 125 ml / 4.2 oz
For your Nigerian Meat Pie stuffing
- 2 medium-sized Irish potatoes
- 2 medium-sized carrots
- 500g (1.1 lbs) of minced meat
- 1 medium-sized onion
- 2 cooking spoons of Vegetable Oil
- 2 Knorr cubes
- 1 teaspoon of thyme
- 2 tablespoons of plain flour
- Cold water – 1 cup / 250 ml / 8.4 oz
- Salt to taste
- 1 medium-sized egg
Equipment you will require to make a meat pie
- Oven: This will be used for baking the meat pie.
- Dough Roller or good old wine bottle.
- Kitchen scale
- A flat work surface to roll out and cut the dough for the meat pie.
- Meat Pie cutter
- Table fork
Instructions for preparing the Nigerian Meat Pie
Nigerian Meat Pie Filling
- Peel off the potatoes and clean the carrots, wash and cut these into very small cubes.
- Wash and cut the onions into very small bits.
- Set your cooker or stove to medium heat, warm the vegetable oil inside a pot, add chopped onions and mix for a bit, add minced meat and stir intensely up until the minced meat turns pale.
- Add a cup of water, and seasonings. Cover the pot and when the items in the pot starts steaming, add your chopped carrots and potatoes, cook till its well done.
- Dissolve Two tablespoons of plain flour in half cup of cold water and add this to the meat pie filling. This will prevent the meat pie filling from drying up during baking. Also, it is what retains the moisture in the meat pie filling .
- Put salt to taste, mix the contents and switch off the heat. Put the meat pie filling to one side. It is now time to prepare the dough for your meat pie.
The dough for Nigerian Meat Pie
- Put 1 kg of flour inside a large container; add Two teaspoons of baking powder and two pinches of salt. You actually do not require lots of salt for your meat pie dough. The meat pie is certain to get the majority of its taste from the filling. Mix these dry ingredients really well.
- Scoop a tablespoon of margarine in small bits inside the bowl of flour. The smaller you get the bits of margarine, the easier it’s going to be rub them into the flour.
- Use the tips of your finger to rub the margarine into the flour until the mix becomes like crumbs.
Please Take Note;You Can not use melted butter because it simply ruins the meat pie.
- Finally, start putting in cold water in bits yet still folding this mixture till a stiff ball of dough is produced. You’ll be amazed at how little amount of water you need to get the dough stiff. Essentially, all that’s necessary for the 1 kg of flour is half a cup of water.
- Knead the dough really well, put back into the bowl leave to relax for 5 to 7 minutes. This will make the dough much more elastic.
Cut, Fill, Fold and Close
- Heat your oven to 170°C (335°F), leave to preheat as you proceed with the meat pie.
- Apply margarine on the internal parts of the oven tray and put to one side. This is to prevent the undersides of the meat pies from burning or sticking to the tray while baking.
- Break and beat the egg,set aside, you will require it soon.
- Knead the dough a bit more, roll it out to attain a 5mm thickness.
- Make use of a cutter, whether it is the cover of a small pot or perhaps a meat pie cutter, to create round cuts on the rolled out dough.
- Take out the excess dough, leaving behind the round cuts.
- Scoop some meat pie filling on the center of the round cuts, the amount must be to ensure that you can easily close the dough without overflows. Don’t fret should you over-filled the first one, there are many meat pies to fill today so gradually you’ll know just the appropriate amount of meat pie filling to scoop inside the dough.
- Apply the egg inside the edge of the cut meatpie dough. Watch the video to see how this can be done. This really is to make sure that your meat pie is properly sealed and will not open up while it’s being baked.
- Fold one section of the dough to meet up with the other end and make use of a fork to press the two edges with each other to close firmly. Put your masterwork inside the oven tray and repeat the earlier steps till all of the cut out dough is used up.
- Roll out additional dough, cut, fill up, close and put inside the oiled oven tray till all of the dough is used.
- Apply the egg over the meat pies. This will give the meat pie a golden brown look once finished.
- Put the tray inside the pre-heated oven and bake for 30 to 40 minutes obviously depending on the heating capability of your oven. Regardless of the kind of oven you’ve got, what is important to be aware of is that the best meat pies are those baked at medium heat. You’ll be able to confirm that the meat pie is succesfully done if it starts browning. It’s okay to open the oven to examine this.
That is how Nigerian Meat Pie is made.
Welcome to naijaparents.com. Whatever your problem, marital, relationship, spiritual or parenting. We are here for you. No matter how difficult they are, together we can release power sufficient to solve these problems either spiritual or otherwise. Don't dwell on what went wrong. Instead, focus on what to do next. Spend your energies on moving forward toward finding the answers and solutions. Digging at the roots instead of just hacking at the leaves is our way of solving your problems. On naijaprents we break the problem down into components and solve one problem at a time. Let's hear from you.Join the conversation on our Forum and , like us on our Facebook page .Google+