Afang,needs little or no gist to many in Nigeria as it is a delicious native soup for the Efiks, who are major occupants of Cross River & Akwa Ibom State.
Be it as this soup is a delight and favourite among the Efiks, it has over time become a massive hit among foodies across the globe.
This soup is prepared with two types of leaves; afang leaves (ukazi) and water leaves, this two different leaves are mixed to produce the delicious afang soup. For theUkazi leaf , it is is usually mostly sliced and then grounded with either a kitchen blender or hand-grinding machine while the water leaf on its end is merely sliced.
Many complain that this soups is very difficult to prepare, mostly because it takes time to pick and slice the different leaves, but t I assure you its not.
- Sliced fresh water leaves (1kg)
- 1/2 cup of ground crayfish
- Ground fresh Ukazi leaves (200g)
- 3 cubes of knorr (sweetener)
- 1 stock fish head (medium size)
- 2 medium sized dried or roasted fish
- 1.5 cups of palm oil
- 1 cup of Periwinkles (optional)
- Snails (optional)
- Salt and Pepper to taste (red fresh pepper)
- Pkomo (Optional)
- 1-2KG of any meat of choice.
Before you begin making your soup, please take not of these
- Ensure that you wash, drain and slice the water leaves into tiny pieces. Then proceed to grinding or pounding the sliced Okazi leaves. You should however note that in most markets here in Nigeria, sellers of this sliced Okazi leaves have a machine for grinding it. If you are against grinding in the market, you can also grind it with your blender with a small quantity of water.
- Next blend your pepper and crayfish then cut the onions into tiny pieces.
Your ground ukazi leaves takes up the role of a thickener for this soup
Place all your meat in a pot and start parboiling with all the necessary ingredients. (2 cubes of knorr, half cup of sliced onions, salt and other spice of choice)
Next, slice and wash your water leaves, then set aside in a plastic sieve to ensure that water is properly drained.
Soak the dried fish in warm water, remove the center bones and wash thoroughly with wash the stock fish head with warm water as well. Add the fish to the meat, cook until they are soft and the pot is almost dry. Next add the palm oil, crayfish and stir together. Add your remaining seasoning cube, ground pepper, snails and salt to taste, allow cooking for 3-5 minutes.
Add the well drained water-leaves in now, allow to simmer for 5 minutes before adding the ground ukazi. Stir together properly, cover the pot and cook for another 5 minutes. Once the time is up, you will be faced with a pot of delicious afang soup.
Afang, is best eaten hot but depending on your person, you can allow to cool down before eating. This delicious soup can be eaten with fufu, eba, pounded yam, wheat or eat by itself.
Welcome to naijaparents.com. Whatever your problem, marital, relationship, spiritual or parenting. We are here for you. No matter how difficult they are, together we can release power sufficient to solve these problems either spiritual or otherwise. Don't dwell on what went wrong. Instead, focus on what to do next. Spend your energies on moving forward toward finding the answers and solutions. Digging at the roots instead of just hacking at the leaves is our way of solving your problems. On naijaprents we break the problem down into components and solve one problem at a time. Let's hear from you.Join the conversation on our Forum and , like us on our Facebook page .Google+