No fewer than five people, including a mother and her infant, have died in North Carolina as Tropical Storm Florence moved from the Tar Heel State into South Carolina.
After coming ashore in North Carolina as a Category 1 hurricane, Florence was downgraded to a tropical storm on Friday afternoon and trudged into South Carolina as night came.
According to reports, two people died in Wilmington after a tree fell on their house, the city’s police department said. “WPD can confirm the first two fatalities of Hurricane #Florence in Wilmington. A mother and infant were killed when a tree fell on their house. The father was transported to (New Hanover Regional Medical Center) with injuries” police tweeted on Friday afternoon.
The hospital said it has received three injured patients. In the town of Hampstead, emergency responders going to a call for cardiac arrest on Friday morning found their path blocked by downed trees. When they got to the home, the woman was deceased, Chad McEwen, assistant county manager for Pender County, said.
The fourth person who died was a man in Lenoir County who was hooking up a generator, Gov. Roy Cooper’s office said. Another man in the county who was checking on his dogs outside was killed in what his family thought was a wind-related death Friday morning, emergency officials said.
- Abducted Zamfara twin sisters regain freedom after 26 days - November 18, 2018
- 21-year-old student caught in Enugu after killing her newborn baby - November 18, 2018
- 41-year-old American woman marries 21-year-old Pakistani student 10 months after meeting on Instagram - November 18, 2018
- I pray that our father in heaven speaks to you individually and softens your hearts – Lola Omotayo tells Peter and Paul as she celebrate them on their birthday - November 18, 2018
- What My Father Did When I Became Pregnant At Age 14 – Nigerian Actress, Ada Ameh Reveals - November 18, 2018
- Ooni of Ife reveals he had a spiritual wife before marrying Naomi - November 18, 2018
- Gabrielle Union explains idea behind her daughter’s name - November 18, 2018
- We sold our day-old baby for N250, 000 to pay off debts – Suspect - November 18, 2018
- I still kneel before my husband despite my achievement, he is the head of the home – Billionaire busineswoman, Ibukun Awosika says - November 18, 2018
- So sad! Pastor’s Daughter Kills Her Own Baby Just 2 Days After Delivery - November 18, 2018