The mayor of a municipality in Mexico was slain by armed men inside her home on Saturday — one day after taking office.
Gisela Mota Ocampo was sworn into office Friday to lead Temixco, a city of nearly 100,000 people 60 miles south of Mexico City.
The attackers entered her house Saturday morning while her family was present and killed her in the doorway, said Alberto Capella, Morelos state security commissioner, at a press briefing.
Police pursued and exchanged gunfire with the armed men, killing two of them, he said. Two adults and a juvenile were arrested and will be prosecuted.
The Morelos state government issued a statement praising Mota Ocampo as “an honest and committed public servant” and calling the attack “a challenge that organized crime launched against the constitutional and democratic order.”
Morelos state is known for drug cartel activity. The congresswoman, who was in her early 30s, had promised to try to clean up Temixco, an industrial city where problems associated with drugs and organised crime are high
Several years ago, a 14-year-old assassin for a drug cartel created international interest with his on-camera descriptions of killings he’d committed.
- How to Handle Social Media Behavior of Teenagers - February 19, 2018
- Difference Between Pride & Ego - February 18, 2018
- The 21st Century Woman: How To Better Understand What She Really Wants - February 4, 2018
- How to keep your head high as a single mother - January 27, 2018
- Single mothers after divorce, what to do? - January 26, 2018
- Single Mothers are not all about Disasters. Here are things you didn’t know about Single Mums - January 24, 2018
- Single Dads this is how you look for a nanny - January 23, 2018
- When to introduce your boyfriend to your child - January 21, 2018
- Picking up the pieces when he walks out on you; Single and pregnant - January 21, 2018
- Manscapping, The Art of Manhood - January 15, 2018