Pregnant women get a free card to binge eat as they usually have the perfect excuse that is popular referred to as ‘eating for two’. However, the right diet is essential for a healthy pregnancy weight which should be possible by sustaining a certain amount of calories.
Most women find it easy to overindulge since they consider themselves a lost case as far as weight gain is concerned.Here are a few healthy guidelines that should point you in the right direction when it comes to eating habits while pregnant:
– Studies indicate that majority of women should consume around 100-300 calories on top of the usually recommended daily intake. This should be enough to provide the necessary nutrients both for her and the baby.
One extra meal preferably light or snack a day should be enough. Your motivation to avoid bingeing should be the hours of hard work that you need to be rid of the excess weight post pregnancy.
– People have different body metabolism and body mass index which is dependent on height and weight. Therefore, consulting your doctor in matters eating should be your best course of action. They will be able to give you the necessary guidance with all factors considered like how to reduce your weight through food if overweight.
– When cravings strike, there is no resisting them for a pregnant woman which might lead to unhealthy eating. Try as much as possible to focus on foods that are healthier with the necessary nutrients like vitamins, proteins and carbohydrates that are necessary for the baby’s growth. Make things like fruits, vegetable salads, nuts and dairy products that are low in fat your favorite snacks.
– Avoid dieting when pregnancy regardless of how much weight you have gained. You do not want to risk harming your baby by depriving them the necessary nutrients through food by drastically restricting your intake.
To get your weight to the required number, limit your portions to healthy foods that aid in weight loss like lean proteins like white meats, whole grains and monounsaturated fats like olive oil.
– Most women who are considered healthy will gain an average of 25-35 pounds (11-17kgs) in the course of their pregnancies. However, it is normal to gain more or less of this average weight due to factors like metabolism, genes and your baby.
To track your own weight gain or loss, your ob-gyn is the right person to help you do it. They can also come up with ways to stabilize your weight for women who face erratic weight.
Forget the myth that gives you a free pass to eat for two while pregnant as the time to pay the pied piper will come and you will curse all that eating. The weight won’t dissipate after birth; it remains with you meaning you weren’t eating for two at all.
Your overindulgence might put a damper on your joy of receiving the new addition to your family. Instead of feeling better about your body, the insecurities that plagued you during pregnancy due to the steady weight gain will stay with you.
Therefore, always be mindful of the food you hog as your baby will also be feeding on it thus you want to choose wisely. Pregnancy concerns can be many especially for a first time mum but with the help of your doctor, you should enjoy this precious moments.
If you experience any concerns related to your weight like losing a lot of weight or rapidly gaining or even the lack of change in weight, always share your concerns with them. They should be able to guide you with the necessary advice and follow it all through the pregnancy.