A group of NDLEA officials on raid has been accused of drowning a 32-year-old graduate of Law, Dapo Olasore, in the Agboyi, Alapere area of Lagos State.
The sad incident happened on Sunday after the officials, who arrived in two vans without number plates, raided the area while shooting sporadically.
Olasore, aka Omopo, was about boarding a canoe to a neighbouring community to see a relative, when the officials stormed the community.
They were said to have shot sporadically into the air, sending frightened residents fleeing in different directions.
However, Olasore, who was by the riverside, was said to have been held by the trousers by the NDLEA men; and in a bid to free himself, fell into the water.
A boatman, who attempted to save him from the canal, was said to have been threatened with guns, leading to the death of the victim.
The victim, who graduated from a university in Ondo State, joined the National Union of Road Transport Workers in 2014, after he could not get a job.
His family was said to be resident in Ibadan, the Oyo State capital.
A witness and friend of the victim, Tosin Oshin, said:
“A boat operator, who was about to rescue him, was threatened with guns. Omopo raised his hand and asked for help, but they didn’t help him.”
Oshin said immediately the incident happened, the officials fled the community with two suspects.
A resident, Omolara Adekunle, said the anti-narcotics officials were always harassing residents, adding that after making arrests, they usually collected about N40,000 for bail.
“It is not only the NDLEA that come here to conduct this illegal raid. The police too are complicit; they have no fear of God.
Those they arrest, they collect between N40, 000 to N45,000 from their relatives before they release them”.
The NDLEA spokesperson, Mitchell Ofoyeju, confirmed that there was a raid on the community by the agency, but denied knowledge that anybody was drowned.
The NDLEA went in search of a notorious drug dealer, named Saheed, following an information on his activities, which has constituted nuisance to people in that neighbourhood.
Unfortunately, we did not find him as of the time of getting to the place. One Babalola was arrested and he was found with 1.3 kilogrammes of cannabis. During the operation, some people escaped through the river because they knew their activities contravened the NDLEA Act. But we are not aware anybody drowned.
- How God Can Bring People Together - October 17, 2018
- Being Ghosted in a Relationship. - October 11, 2018
- Fighting for my marriage.If you don’t have these 6 conversations, it can never be “Happily ever after…” - September 12, 2018
- The 3 P’s That Can Poison Your Marriage - September 12, 2018
- Heavily pregnant Linda Ikeji spotted exercising by showing off her dancing moves - September 6, 2018
- This Woman has been Carrying her sick Husband on her back for 5 years (watch video) - September 4, 2018
- Instagram user reveals how he almost poisoned his brother over 9ice and Ruggedman’s beef - September 4, 2018
- Archbishop Duncan-Williams explains why his first marriage of 26-years failed - September 4, 2018
- See lovely photo of Dbanj and his wife Lineo as they baecation in Dubai - September 4, 2018
- MC Galaxy announces his wedding date, says he is marrying the best woman in the world - September 4, 2018