New details on the case of the man who murdered his girlfriend in Lagos and stuffed her corpse in a bucket emerge

New details on the case of Isaiah Chukwu, a spare parts dealer in Ladipo, Oshodi, who allegedly killed his 26-year-old lover, identified as Joy, at their residence on Balogun Street, Oshodi and stuffed her corpse into a bucket have just been released.

According to reports, Chukwu and Joy, both indigenes of Ebonyi State, had been living together for the past two years without formalising their relationship; and so, Joy’s death was as a result of romance gone wrong.

It was gathered that the 35-year-old tied up the deceased’s legs and knotted the top of the sack. He had allegedly dragged the body around 4am to the ground floor of the house en route to a dust bin when he was accosted by some youths, who were said to have been suspicious of the content of the sack.

An Islamic cleric, who was passing by, was said to have opened the sack and discovered the corpse, which caused the mob to pounce on the suspect and beat him to a pulp.

A trader said, Chukwu had declared the victim missing some days earlier. He said, “When people went to the room after the woman’s corpse was discovered, the whole apartment was filled with perfume.”

Some friends of the deceased, said Joy adored Chukwu and spoke fondly of him.

“They don’t fight. In fact, people always envied their relationship. The woman could be doing something and immediately she heard that he was around, she would leave it and say, ‘My oga don come. My darling don come.’ I never believed this could happen,” one of them said.

A police source said Joy was stabbed in the back. He said, “We recovered a knife which he used for the crime and four mobile phones from the house. Although investigations are ongoing, we suspect it had to do with suspicion of infidelity.

The suspect, who spoke briefly spoke with Punch, said:

“I travelled on Thursday to attend a burial in Abraka, Delta State. I left Abraka the following day for my hometown in Ebonyi State. I called my wife around 11pm to know how she was faring. We exchanged pleasantries.

“Around 11.45pm, I called again, but she did not pick her calls. I called about 10 times, but she did not pick. Then I heard a man’s voice.

“On Monday (after he returned), as I was going to take my bath, I saw the corpse.”

The state Police Public Relations Officer, SP Chike Oti, confirmed the incident, adding that the case had been transferred to the State Criminal Investigation and Intelligence Department, Yaba.

He said, “The man has been arrested, while the corpse has been deposited in a morgue for an autopsy.

“The Commissioner of Police, Edgal Imohimi, has ordered diligent prosecution of the case. He has also advised residents not to stay in abusive relationships and report any case of domestic violence before it is too late.”




Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.