How to Cook Nigerian Egg Fried Rice
Rice is a very versatile dish and can be cooked as a main meal and as a dessert too. It can however get a little boring to have to constantly eat plain white rice and a stew on the side. You can mix it up a little with this egg fried rice recipe that will leave your taste buds tantalized and you will want a second helping.
- 500g long grain white rice
- 3 eggs
- 2 large carrots, diced
- ½ cup green peas
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 red onion, diced
- 100g beef, cooked and diced (you can substitute it with liver)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons curry powder
- Vegetable oil to cook
- Salt to taste
- 2 stock cubes
- 500ml chicken stock
- ½ tablespoon white/black pepper (you can omit it if you don’t like it too spicy)
- Boil some water in a saucepan and put in the carrots and peas for about five minutes. Take them out, strain out the water and put the vegetables in cold water. Remove them after they have cooled down and set them aside. This is known as blanching and it is basically to partially cook them, thereby reducing the time taken to make the stir-fry. The vegetables will also remain colourful in the mixture. You can skip this if you prefer to have your vegetables crunchy.
- Put the chicken stock in a pot and let it boil. Add the rice, onions, garlic powder, curry powder, stock cubes and salt. Have the heat on medium and ensure that the stock should be at the same level as the rice so that there is no more liquid when the rice is cooked through. If the stock is not enough you can add some water. The rice should be well done and not soggy or too tender.
- Break the eggs onto a pan, add some salt and fry them until ready. Let them cool and cut them up into pieces.
- Put the oil in a pan, heat it up and then add the peas, carrots, diced meat or liver, bell peppers, curry powder, seasoning cube and the black/white pepper.
- Mix this well and then add the eggs. Mix them in properly and then pour it out into a bowl.
- To ensure that the rice and vegetables are properly mixed through you will need to add the rice and vegetables in batches. Take a little of the stir-fry mixture and place it in a pan then add the cooked rice. Stir it through for about two minutes and then keep adding the rest of the rice and vegetables in batches until all of it is done.
- It is ready to serve with grilled chicken, grilled beef, grilled fish or a salad. You can wash it down with some fresh fruit juice too!
The beauty of this recipe is that it is a complete meal on its own. You have carbohydrates in the rice, protein in the eggs and liver and vegetables as well. The fried eggs add a great taste to the rice, the vegetables bring in a sweet taste, colour and texture, the curry powder makes it taste warm and homely and the black or white pepper perks it up just right.
You can omit the pepper if you will have children eating it or someone that doesn’t like pepper and everyone else will still be able to enjoy the meal. It is filling, caters to your every nutritional need and feeds your eyes before it even handles your appetite.
Welcome to naijaparents.com. Whatever your problem, marital, relationship, spiritual or parenting. We are here for you. No matter how difficult they are, together we can release power sufficient to solve these problems either spiritual or otherwise. Don't dwell on what went wrong. Instead, focus on what to do next. Spend your energies on moving forward toward finding the answers and solutions. Digging at the roots instead of just hacking at the leaves is our way of solving your problems. On naijaprents we break the problem down into components and solve one problem at a time. Let's hear from you.Join the conversation on our Forum and , like us on our Facebook page .Google+