DAMI DEOLA | 9 MAY 2017
Nigeria’s music industry is like a wet market, new items everyday, the originals mixing with fake and it’s difficult with the output(close to a 100 songs released everyday) to make informed decisions. This list has carefully sorted out the originals from fake, making it seem like you were in a boutique instead of a wet market.
5.JASEN BLU- ALREADY
This versatile singer, songwriter, producer and graphics designer has a swell 2016, and this February, released ‘Already’ as a teaser single for his soon to be released body of work. Jasen has a high work ethic, and with his unique vocals has dedicated his music life to writing love songs.
4. DEWE-LOVE NO BE BEANS
Dewe was one of the finalists of last year’s singing competition, The Voice Nigeria. In this beautiful highlife song, the extremely groovy bass lines and guitar accompaniment along with Dewe’s vocals that seem to have no tipping point, ‘Love no be beans’ captures the phrase ‘Afro-Soul’.
3. COBHAMS ASUQUO- EMPTY
Nigeria’s own Stevie Wonder, Cobhams Asuquo, released his debut album, ‘For You’ in March 2017. The Album has already become a household classic, and this love song, ‘Empty’, is reminiscent of Cobhams songwriting prowess, claiming Naija’s New Balladeer.
2. SIMI-SMILE FOR ME
Naija Songstress, Simi, released ‘Smile For Me’ early this year. The song is a soulful ballad, with her soft voice belting out heartfelt lyrics and a beautiful chorus melody. The production was done by Oscar(Orente etc), and is befitting of this Afro-Soul song.
1.JARELL EBUKA- ALL OR NOTHING
The standout of this list, Jarell’s ‘All or nothing’ is one of the most outstanding love songs done by a Nigerian in 2017. The London/Abuja based singer cum producer’ s music is reminiscent of a futuristic Styl-plus, very much of our time.
- A survival guide for working parents: How to balance family and career - October 12, 2017
- The Financial Considerations Every New Parent Should Make - October 11, 2017
- How Companies Can Support New Parents - October 11, 2017
- SECRETS TO A HAPPY MARRIAGE [PART 2] - October 10, 2017
- Should Single Mums Become Dad’s on Father’s Day? - October 8, 2017
- A New Study Confirms That The Curse Of The Second-Born Child Is Real - October 8, 2017
- How to Build Your Confidence as a First Time Mother; Judith’s Story - October 6, 2017
- Working Mothers Should Stop Feeling Guilty - October 5, 2017
- What Every New Parent Must Know About Car Seat Safety - October 5, 2017
- SECRETS TO A HAPPY MARRIAGE [PART 1] - October 4, 2017