No fewer than 20 persons, including a pregnant woman, escaped death by a whisker on Wednesday after a petrol-laden tanker rammed into five vehicles on the Otedola Bridge, along the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway, Lagos State.
Eyewitnesses said the petrol tanker rammed into the five vehicles which were held in a traffic caused by a long queue for fuel.
The vehicles involved in the crash were a 14-seater Volkswagen bus and four other cars.
One of the witnesses, Moses Emmanuel,said his car narrowly escaped if not for hawkers of sachet water and other dairy products on the expressway, who raised the alarm, the impact of the crash would have been more devastating.
He said the driver of the tanker fled the scene immediately the incident happened.
One of the victims, Samson Rufus, who claimed to be heading for Abeokuta, said he was in the traffic when he heard the hawkers shouting, ‘fire, fire, run’.
“I was confused and could not run to anywhere. All I heard was a big bang on my vehicle. A pregnant woman, who was sitting at the back, was critically injured,” he said.
Another victim, Olatubosun Fayemi, said he jumped out of his crushed vehicle and ran away.
An official of the Federal Road Safety Corps at the scene blamed the crash on brake failure, adding that the injured had been moved to a hospital for medical attention.
The spokesperson for the Lagos State Police Command, SP Dolapo Badmos, said, “Three people got injured and were taken to the Lagos emergency unit at the tollgate area. The accident was caused by a fuel tanker with number plate, KMC 311 ZV.”
- What should you buy for First Time Parents? - December 14, 2017
- Signs that your Husband feels Neglected after Childbirth - December 12, 2017
- New picture of Janet Jackson and her adorable child Eissa - December 11, 2017
- Famous People Raised by Single Mothers - December 11, 2017
- ‘I Didn’t Know I Was Pregnant’: Woman Amazed At Baby Boy’s Arrival - December 10, 2017
- 10 Ways of becoming a Better Father and Husband - December 10, 2017
- What do First Time Parents Fight about and How to Avoid it - December 9, 2017
- Understanding the Single Father While the World Focuses On the Mother - December 3, 2017
- How To check if you and your spouse are true friends - November 28, 2017
- 5 Essential Tips for Creating Balance between Entrepreneurship and Motherhood - November 27, 2017