AN 11-year-old girl was severely burned when her friends allegedly poured scalding hot water on her during a sleepover as part of a dangerous new challenge, according to reports.
The girl, identified by New York 1 as Jamoneisha Merritt, suffered burns to her face chest, back and shoulders in New York early Monday morning, the New York Post reports.
Police have arrested the 12-year-old girl who is accused of dumping the water on her, charging her with felony assault.
The heinous alleged act was apparently part of a worrying craze known as the “hot water challenge,” in which an unsuspecting person has hot water poured over them.
In other variations, people willingly try to drink boiling water, police sources said.
Jamoneisha had been invited to the sleepover party Sunday night at an apartment in Concourse Village, police said.
As she was sleeping, her supposed friend allegedly poured the water over her – and she was woken by the searing pain.
The victim is currently receiving treatment at Harlem Hospital for her injuries.
An adult was reportedly present at the home when the incident happened.
Speaking outside the hospital where she is being treated, the victim’s uncle said she was doing well but was not aware of the damage done to her.
Eugene Dalmida, 52, said: “I think the only reason why she in good spirits is because she don’t actually see the damage done to her.
“They ain’t letting her see her face. I can’t bear to look at her… it gets me too upset.”
Jamoneisha’s cousin Starshanae Nixon said: “It don’t make sense, you don’t do that to a person. They was best friends.”
But her mum claimed she had previously been bullied by the girl who allegedly attacked her after inviting her to the sleepover Sunday night.
Ebony said: “I was told that they didn’t like her. And they just been bullying her.
“They’ve been on Snapchat. It’s been going on several times. The girl admitted it, ‘I don’t like her, I wanted to do it’.”
Jamoneisha is not the first victim of the terrifying Hot Water Challenge craze.
Last month, an eight-year-old Florida girl was killed when she drank boiling water through a straw after being dared by her cousin to do so.
Ki’ari Pope and her cousin had apparently watched several videos on YouTube of people performing the so-called “hot water challenge” before the child severely burned her throat and died, CBS News reported.
- Tonto Dikeh proclaim her love for Bobrisky as they step out in black coordinating circle (Photos) - July 15, 2018
- Nollywood Actor Daniel K. Daniel and his wife wear matching outfits as they pose in front of the White House - July 15, 2018
- Son Of Veteran Nollywood Actors,Olu Jacobs & Joke Silva Weds In Style (Photos/Videos) - July 15, 2018
- OMG! 2 Weeks After Their Wedding In Kaduna, Young Couples Found Dead - July 15, 2018
- Firdaus Amasa, finally called to bar wearing her Hijab after graduating from Law School - July 10, 2018
- Zahra Buhari give birth to a male child in Spain - July 10, 2018
- 50 Cent disengage Remy Ma after her husband attack him for commenting on her weight - July 10, 2018
- Justin Bieber affirms engagement to Hailey Baldwin, declares love for her, and promises to spend forever with her - July 10, 2018
- Checkout Joseph the plantain seller is enrolled in a private school after passing entrance exam - July 9, 2018
- Checkout The Pre-Wedding Photos Of A Popular Veteran Nollywood Actor - July 8, 2018