Zimbabwe’s first lady has urged her 93-year-old husband to name a successor, wading into a subject dictatorial President Robert Mugabe deems taboo.
52years old, Grace Mugabe, told members of the ruling ZANU-PF party women’s league that naming a successor ‘will enable all members to rally behind one candidate’.
The world’s oldest head of state, who has led Zimbabwe since 1980, has repeatedly refused to name a successor and says he will take part in next year’s election.
His wife has previously said her husband could ‘rule from the grave’, adding: ‘If God decides to take him then we would rather field him as a corpse’.
“President, don’t be afraid,’ Mrs Mugabe said. ‘Tell us who is your choice, which horse we should back.
‘If you tell us the horse to back, we will rise in our numbers and openly support that horse. Why should our horse be concealed?
‘I live with this elder. He has wisdom. He is not talkative but he knows what he wants… Mark my words, his word will be final.’
This is the first time Mrs Mugabe has publicly urged her husband to name a successor, although she did not say whether her statements were aimed at next year’s election.”
- WOW! Housemaid thrown lavish wedding years after her Madam adopted her for being humble (Photos) - August 21, 2017
- DOMESTIC VIOLENCE! Man beats wife to death in Benue (Graphics Photos) - August 21, 2017
- THANK GOD! Checkout Funke Akindele’s Baby Bump (Photos) - August 21, 2017
- FREE BONANZA! A hospital in Kaduna is offering free surgery for a week to celebrate President Buhari’s return - August 20, 2017
- Monalisa Chinda- How I knew my 2nd husband was the one for me - August 20, 2017
- Kiki Osinbajo all smiles and pretty in new photo - August 20, 2017
- BIZZARE! Nigerian men celebrate Pres.Buhari’s return by drinking water and soft drink from the ground (Photos) - August 20, 2017
- Bawo Emami Appreciates God Amidst Curses And Insults From Followers(Read Comments) - August 20, 2017
- FAMILY VACATION! IK Osakioduwa and family visit Guliver’s land - August 20, 2017
- ‘I never had a boyfriend’ – Enugu girl who made 9As in WAEC - August 20, 2017