Venus Williams defeated her younger sister Serena in the third round of the BNP Paribas Open in Indian Wells, California on Monday night.
She defeated her sister 6-3, 6-4 in the competition, her first win in the sibling rivalry since August 2014 at the Rogers Cup in Montreal, and the first matchup where Venus was the higher-ranked player since the sisters met at Bangalore in March 2008.
“I’m just lucky that I’ve played more matches than her right now,” Venus said in a postmatch on-court interview. “She just came roaring back. I had chances for the match to be over, but it wasn’t.”
Speaking on losing the game, Serena said: “I definitely know her well, but she definitely played a little bit better than she normally does.
“She served very consistently. She just did everything great.”
‘Missing shots that I never miss, and so close,’ Serena said. ‘At least they’re in the margin. I’m getting there. It’s not exactly where I want to be, but I’ll get there eventually.‘
- Photos from the wedding of a Nigerian dwarf and his pregnant bride - March 18, 2018
- Late Yoruba Actress Moji Olaiya’s daughter clocks one - March 18, 2018
- Ghanaian actress Yvonne Nelson and her mum look adorable in new photo - March 18, 2018
- Catherine Zeta Jones and her husband Michael Douglas recreate old photo with their kids - March 18, 2018
- Man gives his wife his kidney in celebration of their 23rd wedding anniversary - March 18, 2018
- Kim Kardashian shares adorable photo of her baby, Chicago West - March 17, 2018
- See photos from the wedding of VP Yemi Osinbajo’s daughter, Oludamilola to Seun Bakare - March 17, 2018
- Mass Wedding: Kebbi State Government marries off 100 widows and divorcees - March 17, 2018
- Brother with benefit: Kiss Daniel buys brother a Chervolet Camaro on Birthday - March 17, 2018
- Couple commit suicide together after their families refused to accept their marriage - March 17, 2018