The roles of Single Mums on fathers day:It is important to celebrate all fathers who play a role in their children’s lives every once in a while and Father’s day provides a perfect opportunity to do that. But what happens if you and your partner separate or they were never in the picture to begin with?
Either way, it is a hard day especially if you are a single mother who is confused as to what you should do on father’s day. Here are some tips that will get you through father’s day as a single mother.
Do not snub the day
You might be able to get away with not celebrating father’s day when your child is younger, but as they grow older, it will be difficult for your child on this day. By not celebrating the other half that created them, children can really reflect on their identity in a negative light.
As a mother, the last thing you want is for your child to blame themselves for their father’s absence in their lives. Do not ignore the day, celebrate it with the other strong men in your life and your child’s as well. It could be their grandfather or uncle and this way, your child will not feel left out.
Your child might not be in school yet but it is a good idea to think about the activities that the school they go to might hold especially on father’s day. For Mother’s day, most schools will hold an event, and it’s likely to be the same on Father’s day.
So what can you do as a single mother? Send a friend or family member who is a constant loving and supportive man in your child’s life. Ensure that you check with that person’s schedule ahead of time so that they can avail themselves on that day.
Talk about it
Whether they passed on, or they chose not to be part of your child’s life, it is important to have an open discussion with your child and acknowledge their dad on Father’s day. The day provides you with an opportunity to talk about him in an honest and respectful manner.
If the father passed on, the day will be difficult for everyone, but try to make it a day of remembrance. Celebrate the memory of your child’s father by going to his favorite restaurant, cooking his favorite meal or just sharing your favorite memories of him.
As a single mother, you need to embrace the fact that you children love their father even if he chose to leave. As difficult as it may be, it is important that you allow them to celebrate their father without feeling any guilt or fear that they may hurt your feelings.
Whether, you are angry, sad or mad, try to approach Father’s day with a positive spirit for the sake of your children. Otherwise, the children will pick up on the negativity and it could cause them to create a negative association with their dad, Father’s day and possibly with other men in their lives. Make the day enjoyable for your children with a teaching and positive spirit.
- How God Can Bring People Together - October 17, 2018
- Being Ghosted in a Relationship. - October 11, 2018
- Fighting for my marriage.If you don’t have these 6 conversations, it can never be “Happily ever after…” - September 12, 2018
- The 3 P’s That Can Poison Your Marriage - September 12, 2018
- Heavily pregnant Linda Ikeji spotted exercising by showing off her dancing moves - September 6, 2018
- This Woman has been Carrying her sick Husband on her back for 5 years (watch video) - September 4, 2018
- Instagram user reveals how he almost poisoned his brother over 9ice and Ruggedman’s beef - September 4, 2018
- Archbishop Duncan-Williams explains why his first marriage of 26-years failed - September 4, 2018
- See lovely photo of Dbanj and his wife Lineo as they baecation in Dubai - September 4, 2018
- MC Galaxy announces his wedding date, says he is marrying the best woman in the world - September 4, 2018