A new mum Terry Loong, 40, who didn’t bathe for 30 whole days after giving birth has shared her reason for doing it.
Terry, who is of Malaysian heritage and lives in Harrow, north west London, said she chose not to shower for 1 month because it helped her bond with her son. She said it’s called postpartum confinement, a practice she says is common in Asian culture, where a new mother does not leave the house, have visitors or, in some cases, bathe for a month following delivery.
The rationale behind this practice is that it helps protect both mum and baby from infections, gives the mother a chance to recover and recharge, and allows the two uninterrupted bonding time.
Aesthetic doctor Terry admitted she “did smell of bodily fluids” but she said she didn’t care. She believes it helped her bond with little Matthew, free of any distractions, while giving her body the rest it desperately needed.
She moved: “I remember my mum having a period of confinement when I was little. I’m the oldest of five so I saw it a lot.
It is common in Asian culture. Some of my Chinese friends here in London have done it too but adapted it to what works for them, picking different parts of it.
I don’t know many people that did it fully, like me. The biggest thing is that people couldn’t believe I hadn’t showered.
It wasn’t pretty, but it was important. If I had another baby, I would definitely do it again.”
- Busola Dakolo is missing her husband! - June 24, 2018
- Halle Berry shares rare photo of her son with Olivier Martinez - June 24, 2018
- Fela Anikulapo’s daughter dares women to compete with “a glorious beauty” like hers over a man - June 24, 2018
- Women in Saudi Arabia are now legally allowed to drive - June 24, 2018
- Tia Mowry shares photo of her tummy 7 weeks after child birth, reveals not every woman snaps back immediately - June 24, 2018
- See the amazing transformation of this burn survivor on her wedding day - June 24, 2018
- Actor Muyiwa Ademola and wife celebrate 12th wedding anniversary - June 24, 2018
- Model Chanel Iman and hubby Sterling Shepard expecting baby girl - June 24, 2018
- If women are truly supporting women, there won’t be an Epidemic of Sidechicks – Joro Olumofin - June 24, 2018
- Actress Nkechi Blessing reveals what she looks out for in a man - June 24, 2018