A new mum Terry Loong, 40, who didn’t bathe for 30 whole days after giving birth has shared her reason for doing it.
Terry, who is of Malaysian heritage and lives in Harrow, north west London, said she chose not to shower for 1 month because it helped her bond with her son. She said it’s called postpartum confinement, a practice she says is common in Asian culture, where a new mother does not leave the house, have visitors or, in some cases, bathe for a month following delivery.
The rationale behind this practice is that it helps protect both mum and baby from infections, gives the mother a chance to recover and recharge, and allows the two uninterrupted bonding time.
Aesthetic doctor Terry admitted she “did smell of bodily fluids” but she said she didn’t care. She believes it helped her bond with little Matthew, free of any distractions, while giving her body the rest it desperately needed.
She moved: “I remember my mum having a period of confinement when I was little. I’m the oldest of five so I saw it a lot.
It is common in Asian culture. Some of my Chinese friends here in London have done it too but adapted it to what works for them, picking different parts of it.
I don’t know many people that did it fully, like me. The biggest thing is that people couldn’t believe I hadn’t showered.
It wasn’t pretty, but it was important. If I had another baby, I would definitely do it again.”
- Pastor Ituah Ighodalo pays surprise visit to his wife, Ibidun at work, and he brought her food - August 19, 2018
- The craziest thing I’ve done was slapping my dad – Femi Adebayo - August 19, 2018
- Newly married rapper, 2 Chainz shares adorable family photo with his wife and kids - August 19, 2018
- See photos of cute baby abandoned in the bush - August 18, 2018
- No one dared tell Sam Loco to quit smoking – Son reveals - August 18, 2018
- Nigerian man surprises mum with a car gift on her birthday - August 18, 2018
- See loved up photos of Toolz And Her Husband, Tunde Demuren - August 18, 2018
- “My mother chased me out of the house for piercing my ears” – Bode Blaq - August 18, 2018
- Alaafin Of Oyo, Lamidi Adeyemi With His Twin Girls - August 18, 2018
- “Her Boyfriend Beat her Up & Ruptured her Intestine” – Vanessa Willie reveals in new episode of The Talk With Vanessa - August 18, 2018