Three in four of us now experience back pain, experts say British Chiropractic Association says inactive lifestyles are main problem Hunching over a computer screen or lounging in bed could cause problems. Survey found 82 per cent spend six hours a day in front of a screen
Being hunched over a computer screen for many hours at a time means three-quarters of us now are afflicted by back pain, experts say. As opposed to wrenching the back with physically demanding exercise or hard lifting, inactive lifestyles are the main reason for the problems.
Lounging in front of a television or spending too much time in bed may also be major causes of back complaints, as stated by the British Chiropractic Association.
Some 82 per cent of people now spend six hours a day in front of a computer screen, the association found in a survey of 2,000 people. And 49 per cent of those questioned admitted they spent between two and six hours a day watching television.
Chiropractor Rishi Loatey said: ‘As a nation we’re becoming increasingly sedentary and struggle to switch off – whether it’s sitting at a desk or lounging on the sofa, hunching over a mobile device or lying in bed for too long, the effects of modern lifestyles are taking their toll.
‘Understanding how to sit properly and keeping active will help improve posture, strengthen muscles and therefore reduce neck and back pain.
‘With 35 million working days a year lost to back and neck related problems it’ s really important that people think about their back health when going about their daily business, and that they seek help from an expert if they are in pain to avoid more long term problems.’
Some 77 per cent of people surveyed said they are currently experiencing back or neck pain or have done in the past. And 24 per cent said they suffer on a daily basis.
The survey results suggest that 73 per cent spend more than six hours in bed, and 33 per cent spend between two and six hours looking at a laptop or tablet.
Chiropractors recommend that when sitting at a desk people have their back straight, arms close to the body and computer screens level with the eyebrows. The seat base should be tilted slightly forward, allowing for the knees to be lower than the hips and the feet to be flat on the floor. They advise that people take a walk every half hour.
- What is Cryptocurrency ? Cryptocurrency 101, what you should know - March 11, 2018
- WHAT ARE THE SIGNS OF NON-VERBAL COMMUNICATION FROM YOUR SPOUSE - March 6, 2018
- HOW LONG SHOULD I WAIT? HOW TO BE PATIENT WHILE SINGLE - March 5, 2018
- 14 Sex Rules That Every Couple Must Follow for a Great Sex Life - March 4, 2018
- WE HAD SEX BEFORE OUR WEDDING. ARE THERE CONSEQUENCES? FIND OUT NOW! - March 4, 2018
- The Dos and Don’ts of Dealing With Your In-Laws - February 25, 2018
- How to guard your heart from extramarital affairs - February 25, 2018
- How to Handle Social Media Behavior of Teenagers - February 19, 2018
- Difference Between Pride & Ego - February 18, 2018
- The 21st Century Woman: How To Better Understand What She Really Wants - February 4, 2018