DAMI DEOLA | 14 MAY 2017
In celebration of Mothers’ today (for like the tenth time this year), we have compiled a small list of five Nigerian Songs about mothers.
It seems that mankind’s love for their mothers has gone beyond given them more than a National Day in a calendar year, it has found it’s way into evergreen songs, songs that have now become a staple in every Nigerian’s child memory.
1.Prince Nico Mbarga-Sweet Mother
Prince Nico Mbarga’s ‘Sweet Mother’ is a classic song that perhaps would still live for another hundred years. The sweet highlife song has simple lyrics and an easy to understand message: a mother’s love is the greatest gift of all.
2.Christy Essien-Igbokwe- Seun Rere
Christy Essien-Igbokwe was one of Nigeria’s foremost and well-like singers, responsible for a myriad of classics like ‘Iyami Ranti’ and the evergreen ‘Seun rere’. Christy’s music were filled with timeless messages, messages that spelt the healthy mental consciousness of what now seems a distant Nigeria.
3.Fela Anikulapo Kuti- Unknown Soldier
The iconic Afrobeat legend, Fela Anikulapo Kuti, was much more than a musician, he was a philosopher, a fighter, an activist, a prophet and a son who loved his mother so much. Hence, when his mother was thrown from the balcony in a military raid at his home, an irate Fela released this song of protest, as a battle-cry, with tears that can’t be dried by time.
4.Dele Ojo- Iyani wura
Dele Ojo’s ‘Iyani wura’ has become a folk classic in South-Western Nigeria. A well known and appreciated song, it translates to ‘a mother of virtue’ in English. The song contains lyrics that would make the head of any mother swell.
The only contemporary song on the list, not as a result of quality but more of this lists’ brevity, Asa’s ‘So beautiful’ was one of the album tracks in her sophomore album,’ Beautiful Imperfection’. An album that always had its back against the wall after the timeless brilliance of its predecessor,’Asa’. An ode to her mother, it is filled with beautiful images that capture the strength, love, and endurance of an african mother. It can’t be found elsewhere.
- Beyoncé and Jay Z’s twins are been treated for jaundice following premature birth - June 26, 2017
- TO CANE OR NOT TO CANE? - June 26, 2017
- Trusting In God’s Promise For Marriage - June 25, 2017
- Mortified parents look helplessly on their nannycam as the registered nurse they employed to look after their special needs son, 2, cruelly beats him before they call 911 and cops save him - June 24, 2017
- 4 Phrases You Should Never Utter to Your Husband, No Matter How Tempting - June 23, 2017
- Lucky baby born on airplane awarded free flights for life - June 20, 2017
- HAPPY FATHERS DAY - June 18, 2017
- 3 Steps to Falling in Love with Your Spouse Again - June 18, 2017
- Moms Need a Full Year for Recovery After Giving Birth New Study Reveals - June 14, 2017
- Is it possible to still have your period while you are pregnant? - June 12, 2017