IVF Success Rates.
IVF Success Rates: People are opening up to IVF so that they can have their own biological children and raise a family. Many that opt for IVF have usually already tried other methods and are at a desperate point in their lives. It is very easy for a desperate person to overlook important things when making decisions. Owing to the fact that IVF candidates may be particularly vulnerable at this time, it is understandable that they may not see the whole picture at first.
Considering IVF means you want to walk out of that hospital room with a baby at some point. It is therefore important to look at all factors that could help you get there. Your first stop will probably be an IVF clinic website. What you read there will probably make a huge difference and maybe even influence your choice of IVF clinic. How information is relayed on these websites usually makes a difference and is of course aimed at getting you to choose them over the next clinic. But they have an advertising department (or consultant) that also knows and does its job well. So, as you go through these websites be careful to check out the following areas and not to fall for them.
- Definition of success rates
IVF starts out with fertility drugs to kick start the process and develop the eggs. The eggs are then removed and mixed with sperm for embryos to develop. The embryos are then transferred to the uterus where they will hopefully implant and then grow into a baby. Something could go wrong at any stage and the procedure won’t take if that happens.
You may look at success one way (probably successfully giving birth) and someone else can look at it as successful embryo transfer whether it leads to pregnancy or not. Another person will look at it from the angle of successful implantation leading to pregnancy.
Look at these figures as an example. 100 women started the treatment cycle. 70 have an embryo transfer, 20 get pregnant but only 15 give birth. From these numbers, success according to live births per started treatment cycle is 15 percent but the rate of pregnancy per embryo transfer is about 29 percent.
The figures change with the definition yet the number of women who started treatment remains the same as well as those who had a baby. Look at what the clinic’s success rates refer to for a better picture because many will quote pregnancy per embryo transfer rates. This particular rate doesn’t account for those who didn’t get eggs or even embryos as well as those who do get pregnant but then miscarry.
- Any mention of your health and age?
Evidence shows that the health of the parent as well as certain behaviours like smoking and drinking can affect conception. Age definitely makes a difference. Many don’t know that these may affect conception via IVF as well.
The website should tell you about all those things that could impact this process so that you can make the right changes where possible and as soon as possible so as to improve chances.
- Is there any mention of repeating treatment cycles?
Many people will need more than one treatment cycle to conceive. Some go in expecting instant results and this can lead to heartbreak and discouragement if not dealt with. Knowing what to expect in advance will help to better manage expectations.
- Babies, babies, cute babies all over
This seems like a silly one but think about it for a moment. These pictures of cute babies usually appear somewhere close to success rates. At this point you are longing for one of your own and seeing those speaks to your emotional side which may be very vulnerable at this time. It could raise your expectations too high yet you are walking down a path that’ll be emotionally, physically and financially draining. You need a clear head for this.
Read as much as you can and do your research well. Ask around if you need to but don’t make a choice after only one website. And definitely not after looking at cute babies.
- This Baby Was Abandoned By His Mother And Was Left With This Heartbreaking Note! - May 27, 2017
- I DON’T LOVE HIM ANYMORE BUT CAN’T TELL HIM - May 27, 2017
- Don Jazzy congratulates ex- label friend, D’banj on the arrival of his son - May 27, 2017
- Mathew Knowles, Beyonce Father,says he’s more proud of Solange than Beyonce - May 27, 2017
- Is My Teen Depressed? Signs of Teen Depression - May 27, 2017
- Mo Abudu Arrives Monaco in a chopper for The Grand Prix This weekend - May 27, 2017
- My Wife Derives Pleasure in Beating me Up – Man tells Court - May 27, 2017
- This 6 year-old boy was given a deep cut with a machete by his stepfather for buying him bread instead cigarette - May 27, 2017
- Not all women are the same… just as not all men are dogs- AliBaba - May 27, 2017
- Video: Nigerians pay N77,600 hospital bills of stranded mother of triplets - May 26, 2017