Plantain Pancakes : How to Make Plantain Pancake. Plantain Pancakes Recipe.
Pancakes are a great breakfast item for your menu. They can sometimes get a little boring and you want to change things up a little. Some change the syrup, add a spice to the batter or serve the pancakes with something else. How about if you made them with something totally different? Yes. Turn things around completely with a new ingredient altogether and in this case, plantains.
Plantains have been used in different meals and as a breakfast food too but only when they are whole. You have probably had them boiled, roasted or grilled with your favorite drink and dip. Have you ever had so many raw plantains in your home and they started ripening before you could eat them? It can be very frustrating to watch them ripen before you cook them. Instead of worrying or making sure you eat plantain every day before they ripen, use them to make plantain pancakes. You can use ripe or overripe plantain for this recipe and it will turn out fine.
- 3 ripe or overripe plantains
- 200gm wheat flour
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons condensed milk
- 100ml water (or whole milk)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Quarter teaspoon salt
- Chili peppers to taste (optional)
- 1 medium minced onion
- Half teaspoon baking powder or baking soda(to get them fluffy)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Peel the plantains and mash them in a bowl. Ensure they are smooth and have no lumps in them. You can mix them with a little water as you mash and then pass the mixture through a tight sieve to get a smooth consistency. You can also puree it in a blender.
- Take a wide bowl and break the eggs into it. Add in the sugar, condensed milk and plantains and mix everything properly using a fork or whisk.
- Throw in the salt, peppers and onions. Slowly sift in the baking powder and flour as you keep whisking. It should start to thicken and look a little lumpy.
- Add the water or whole milk and stir until you achieve a smooth and runny consistency with the batter but be careful not to make it too watery. The lighter your batter the thinner the pancakes so consider the end result you would like to see.
- Let the pancake batter rest for about 15 minutes.
- Take a non-stick pan (it’ll be easier to cook with) and pour some oil on it just to grease it. Spread it around the pan and let it get hot.
- Using a ladle, scoop some batter and pour onto the already hot pan. Ensure that the batter spreads evenly by tilting the pan from side to side.
- Cook the pancake on low heat and when you see air bubbles on the surface and the sides begin darkening, flip it over. Let the other side cook properly but be careful not to burn them.
- Repeat the spooning and cooking instructions until you finish all the batter.
- Serve with a chilled, cool or hot beverage for breakfast, dinner or as a snack.
Note: The oil is for greasing the pan. Make sure you grease the pan before you spoon some batter onto it. This will help them cook properly and not end up with too much oil.
-Also remember to use a non-stick frying pan. A regular pan may have the pancakes sticking and this can be difficult to deal with since the pancakes will be more prone to breaking.
Next time you have ripe plantains or know someone who does, whip out this recipe and whip up some great pancakes.
Welcome to naijaparents.com. Whatever your problem, marital, relationship, spiritual or parenting. We are here for you. No matter how difficult they are, together we can release power sufficient to solve these problems either spiritual or otherwise. Don't dwell on what went wrong. Instead, focus on what to do next. Spend your energies on moving forward toward finding the answers and solutions. Digging at the roots instead of just hacking at the leaves is our way of solving your problems. On naijaprents we break the problem down into components and solve one problem at a time. Let's hear from you.Join the conversation on our Forum and , like us on our Facebook page .Google+