Weight loss is a subject that is on very many people’s minds and is something that many people battle with every year. Cutting down some weight may indeed have some great benefits including reduced risk of heart disease and stroke, reduced back problems and reduced pain in the legs, better sleep and generally better wellbeing. It is however a different story altogether to get there.
Many people look at exercise as the one thing that will solve all their weight problems but it is more a matter of a wholesome approach. Diet, for instance, makes a huge impact on weight. Some foods may pack quite a lot of calories while others not so much so you need to know what you are eating. There is however a grave misconception that food that assists with weight loss is tasteless and not enjoyable to eat.
This is definitely misleading and can make the weight loss journey much more difficult than expected. Staying disciplined is hard enough so why make it harder with bad food? There are lots of healthy recipes that will awaken your taste buds, fill you up and put you on the right path to weight loss, like this seafood pepper soup.
Seafood is lean white meat so there is no chance of bad cholesterol in your food. This soup contains few calories and therefore helps your weight loss efforts. Having soup before a meal will make you slow down as you eat (or is it drink?) and fill you up. You are therefore much more likely to eat less food during the main meal. That ideally translates to lower calorie intake. It may seem like eating a lot but it is nothing compared to having a serving of fries and a burger with reference to calories.
- 1 medium tilapia/catfish
- 200g fresh shrimps
- 1 tablespoon crayfish
- Habanero chillies to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- Salt to taste
- 1 stock cube
- Pepper soup spices
- Water as required
- Make the pepper soup spice by mixing together 8 calabash nutmeg pieces, 8 pieces Negro pepper and one tablespoon alligator pepper. You can also add uziza seeds and dried ginger.
- Roast the calabash nutmeg on a pan till dark brown. Peel the skin and remove the seed inside. Combine all the peppers in a blender and grind them to a powder.
- Clean the shrimps and remove the shell and black vein and set aside.
- Wash the fish, gut and remove the scales if need be and cut them into small pieces.
- Place the fish in a pot and add water to cover the fish pieces. Add the onions, pepper, salt and stock cube and boil for about 10 minutes.
- Add a little more water, the shrimps, crayfish and ground pepper soup spices. Mix gently to avoid breaking the fish and cook the mixture until everything is properly cooked through. This should take about 10 minutes or less.
- Add the basil leaves, simmer for 30 seconds and turn off the heat.
- Serve hot! You can have it with boiled plantains, bread (whole meal considering the point of this is weight loss), rice, boiled yams or potatoes.
Tips:-You can make this soup more filling by adding vegetables such as yams, sweet potatoes, unripe plantains or potatoes.
-Any seafood will work so add sea snails, lobster, crabs, oysters, mussels, scallops, squid, clams or even octopus. Anything goes but the cooking time will depend on the type of seafood you settle for.
10 Poulet Yassa
Welcome to naijaparents.com. Whatever your problem, marital, relationship, spiritual or parenting. We are here for you. No matter how difficult they are, together we can release power sufficient to solve these problems either spiritual or otherwise. Don't dwell on what went wrong. Instead, focus on what to do next. Spend your energies on moving forward toward finding the answers and solutions. Digging at the roots instead of just hacking at the leaves is our way of solving your problems. On naijaprents we break the problem down into components and solve one problem at a time. Let's hear from you.Join the conversation on our Forum and , like us on our Facebook page .Google+