A widow and member of the Cross River House of Assembly has taken over her husband’s seat, following her victory at the Obudu Constituency bye-election, held on Saturday.
Mrs Abbey Ukpukpen is the widow of a member of the Assembly, Stephen Ukpukpen, who died in May, and she won the Saturday’s Obudu State Constituency Bye-Election into the Cross River House of Assembly.
Stephen Ukpukpen’s seat was declared vacant following his death.
The State Resident Electoral Commissioner (REC), Dr Frankland Briyai, announced the result on Sunday in Obudu, Headquarters of Obudu Local Government.
According to Briyai, the PDP Candidate scored 12,712 votes to beat her closest rival, Mr Ishamali Bendel, of the All Progressives Congress (APC), who scored 4,345 votes.
Other results include Awafang Angiating of Mega Party of Nigeria (MPN), who scored 132 votes and Agwupuye Umeka of African Democratic Party (ADP), who scored 114 votes to place third and fourth, respectively.
“Total valued votes 17,303; rejected votes 607; total votes cast 17,910; total number of registered voters 69,908, ‘’ he said.
The REC commended the Electorate for the peaceful conduct of the exercise and urged them to replicate the same disposition in the 2019 year’s general elections.
Therefore, Mrs Abbey Ukpukpen, a staff of the University of Calabar, will now replace her late husband in the assembly.
- Romantic Valentine’s Day Messages for Her - February 13, 2019
- Essential tips for When Someone you love hurts you Deeply - February 11, 2019
- Senator wear designs for men in Nigeria (PHOTOS) - January 26, 2019
- Senator Native Designs For Men 2019 - January 26, 2019
- Ibidunni Ighodalo has given birth to a baby boy after 19 years of waiting. - January 23, 2019
- When He disappears for a few Days - January 23, 2019
- When God takes away a Relationship - January 23, 2019
- What should a Husband do in a Sexless Marriage - January 23, 2019
- Scriptures to Speak over your Child - December 31, 2018
- EWEDU AND ITS HEALTH BENEFITS.10 Health Benefits of Ewedu leaf - December 31, 2018